Books I read in 2020

Every book I finished in 2020. Let's begin with my favourite...

- The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins

I have so much to say about this book so I'll keep it brief and save that for another blog post. This was truly one of my highlights from 2020. It's a prequel to the Hunger Games trilogy and answered all of my questions about the Hunger Games, how it began and President Snow. It was as detailed and eventful as I hoped it would be and huge! I loved carrying around a huge book to read in the summer months (in my garden of course). Simply a dream to read. I loved it. 

- The Eve Illusion by Tom and Giovanna Fletcher

Another follow on book I was very excited for. I also hold this story at a very high regard and I wasn't disappointed. 

I'm a huge fan of The Eve of Man and so finding out what's happening in this world from where we left Eve was a thrill to read. It's fast-paced with the sense of urgency and I was very surprised by the twists and turns- and just how dark it got. I read this at the same time as my mum and it was lovely, and just what I needed, when we could talk all things Eve Illusion on our walks during lockdown.  

I too have a lot to say about this book so I plan to write a more in-depth book review. 

- Divergent by Veronica Roth

It didn't take me long to get excited by this story. In fact, I think it was a day. I tend to enjoy these kinds of fantasy fast-paced stories the most and I was interested by this idea of factions dictating the life you lead. What connected me the most was seeing Tri's inner conflict with who she thought she should be versus where she was pulled. She was growing up being told how to act, what to say and wear but it just wasn't clicking and there was a huge question mark in her heart.

I felt this kind of second-hand strength when reading about Tris's challenges. I felt as if I could push myself a bit harder, beyond my own limits and hopefully surprise myself with what I could do. Honestly, I don't recall actually doing this in any huge areas of my life but that feeling of I can if I push myself because that strength is within me was well appreciated.

- Insurgent by Veronica Roth 

Of course, I enjoyed Divergent so much that I followed it up straight away with the sequel. This movie I actually hadn't seen and so I didn't have an idea of what would happen. 

Truthfully I'm struggling to remember my thoughts on this book but I know that the intensity ramped up. It was darker and at times I found it difficult to keep up with what was happening. However, I don't necessarily regard this as a negative. I think it says that there's a lot of detail and I know from my reading style that sometimes I might have to read something twice to fully understand.

Book two, a lot of death and war, which overall I found difficult to take in.

- Allegiant by Veronica Roth

If I could use one word to describe this book series it would be conflict. Throughout the whole story, there are many battles and powerful combusts, but also Tris and many of the characters are fighting against an inner conflict. I can definitely see how this series is popular with teenagers.

There was one big plot twist that shook up the whole story for the characters and the reader. It made myself go wait what!? And then the story was completely different. 

I admire Veronica Roths ability to create this world.

- Eve of Man by Tom and Giovanna Fletcher

This book was my number one of 2019 and I wanted to refresh my memory before I read the sequel; The Eve Illusion. I encourage you to read this before The Eve Illusion. If like me you love books that are future-fantasy, fast-paced and detailed, you will love this book. The authors have created a world similar to ours with more advanced tech knowledge, which meant that I could imagine myself in this world of incredible developments (and also be very aware of what would happen in a world without women).

It follows in the footsteps of The Hunger Games and I'd say its suitable for any age- I recommended it to my mum who loved it just as much as I did. 

- in the time we lost by Carrie Hope Fletcher

I've written an in-depth review which I will leave here. I really enjoyed reading this story. There's a lot of heart and magic in a real-life setting. It's light-hearted which makes it a very easy read If, like me, you like a break in-between think-y books. 

- Girl Up by Laura Bates

I wasn't sure whether I wanted to read a book on sexism and feminism not knowing what it really means. But reading this has given me more knowledge on what feminism actually is.

Initially reading this book I could sence that it was aimed at a younger audience (teens) due to capitalized statements and some silly examples. But I've actually learnt so much from reading it now that I wish I was made aware of when I was a teen. My eyes are opened to everyday sexism even though previously I would've said that I'd never seen it. 

I eventually found that the silly examples are purely for a bit of light humour which made the book a little less heavy.

What I would say is that I'm glad I could read it at the age I'm at and still have my own opinions and not take every opinion on as my own. There are some things I've read that I've considered and challenged but ultimately I've found that I can take a moment and come to a conclusion on what I think.

Informative, non-patronising, empowering and I would definitely recommend this book to teens at school AND fellow humans wanting to educate themselves a little more on feminism and sexism.

- Being an Adult by Lucy Tobin and Kat Poole

I found this book to be truly amazing for learning the big and little things that come with adult life. It prepares you with the big like, what you need to know before buying a house, preparing for job interviews, coping with mental health, how to manage your money, to the small like how to do your washing and make sure it dries properly so you don't have to wash it again and what you need to own in your kitchen. Some tips I've remembered and lived by since I read this at the start of the year. In fact, this is a library book I borrowed but I plan on buying it as a reference.

Reading it felt like the authors were talking to you. I enjoyed that it was on an equal level to me. Their stance is big sister giving you advice that they've learnt and were still learning whilst writing this book. One thing in particular that felt comforting was them saying that they didn't feel like adults until a certain point in their life, which was later than what they assumed was an adult age, and many others felt the same way. 

They include notes from lots of other people too. I found it helpful to read varied responses to situations and know that there are many ways to do things, it's about what works for you.

Ultimately it homed in the fact that no-one really knows what they're doing but we've all got good advice to share. Highly recommended. 

- The Switch by Beth Oleary

Total honesty, I'm struggling to formulate exactly what I thought about The Switch as I read it quite a few months ago. So this little review won't be as accurate as this book deserves however, I can remember that I really enjoyed it as I did The Flatshare; which is Beth's first book. Beth is an excellent writer with a true talent for stories and characters. She has a way with characters which makes them feel real and relatable. I would very much like to be friends with them. 

It's the same genre and style as The Flatshare. Plus it's brilliant in that I don't feel like I'm reading the same book; which can happen sometimes with authors.  

A lot of heart, very well written and such a sweet story presenting the idea that making a change in your life is possible and can be exactly what you need- even if it's not the norm for your age. 

A beautiful book. I plan on reading Beths writing for a long time. 

- The Switch by Anthony Horowitz

I have memories of reading this book in year 5 at school (so I would've been around 10). Our whole class read it, following on with the teacher and I can remember us all being so engaged with every word. There were certain parts that were still stuck in my head and feeling nostalgic I decided to reread it. 

I think this book will always hold special memories, which just reminds me of how wonderful books are- especially when a brilliant book is shared amongst children and read by a wonderful teacher.

- The Shelf by Helly Acton

What drew me to this book was the plot. I was interested in this idea that a reality show could begin around somebody's relationship ending on live tv, and then the women have to compete to see who's the best. I hoped that there would be a lot of female strength, community and combatting old stereotypes of what women should be and I'm pleased to say that there was indeed. What I also liked is that the story wasn't all about saying women should be home-makers and the characters rebelling against this. There was a character that was a home-maker because she wanted to be and I think it's important to spread this message. The whole idea is to create awareness that stereotypes aren't accurate character depictions. 

The overall book wasn't for me, but that being said, I continued to turn each page wanting to find out what was going to happen next, just like a reality show. The reason I think it wasn't for me is that I'm not into reading misogynistic characters (of which there were quite a few) and truthfully reality shows just aren't my thing. 

But I will continue to recommend this book to people that may find it of interest as there are many positives.

- Normal People by Sally Rooney

Before reading this I had watched the series (and reviewed it) and my hopes for the book were to find out more about Marianne and Connell, specifically Connells Insecurities and Marieannes family life. I found that I didn't so much learn the reasons for those things but I was able to read what they were experiencing and their inner thoughts, which, of course, you don't get from the series. 

I didn't love it. The characters go through so much personal hardship that it was a heavy read. There were also many situations that were so frustrating and I wanted to go into this world and meddle. That being said, at times their relationship was in a sweet spot and they were in a happy place which were the moments I enjoyed reading the most.

It's well written and like no other book I've read before. The author has a knack for understanding characters and expressing them. I think it helps that Marianne and Connell are deep and emotionally intelligent so when you're learning about what's going on in their mind it's said clearly and straight to the point as if they're saying it. Which results as the reader understanding them better; you're getting to know them on a deeper level.

- The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend

Funny in places. His innocence made me smile as he said things like 'i left my grandmas house by pretending I didn't feel well, I didn't like how she was being rude about my mum...'.

It's a slow pace as it's a diary giving you an insight into each day of a young boy. Not for me but made me smile. 

*Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the book before I took it back to the library!

--------------------------------------------------------

As ever, thank you for reading my blog post. I wish you a very happy new year

Big love and keep safe,

Buddy xx


Where to find me:

Comments

Popular Posts