Every Book I Read in 2019 / Books


Hello and welcome to another bookish blog post. If you've been reading for a while you may remember this time last year when I wrote a similar blog post about all of the books I read in 2018. Saying that there was a lot would be an understatement:


Book's I read in 2018
Link to Previous book posts:
*All The Books I Read in 2018* Part One / Books

*All the Books I Read in 2018* Part Two / Books

This past year however you may notice that there aren't quite as many books as there were in 2018's post.

Around the start of the year, I made a promise to myself that If I started to read a book and I wasn't enjoying it, then I would put it down and try another. The reason for this is because I was very caught up in wanting to have a large volume of books read at the end of the year and so I would read without enjoying it. This meant that I wasn't excited to get back to reading and I lost my love of reading a little bit. 

Therefore these books are the ones I have completed this year...


(I have tried my best to include no spoilers)

Let's begin with my favourite book of 2019...Eve of Man by Tom and Giovanna Fletcher!



What's It About?
We meet Eve, the first girl born in 50 years. 
The human race is on the cusp of extinction and Eve is the most important person on the planet. We join her story when she turns 16 and has to meet three male suitors, with whom she must choose one to save the planet with. But she meets Bram and her world turns upside down.

My thoughts...
The story takes place in a world like ours but 50 years from now. For me, this makes it really exciting as feels like the reader is being put into this time- it's easy to imagine a world like ours. The plot really made me think about what life would be like in this scenario.

It's fast-paced. There's always something happening with the sence of urgency which meant that I had to physically tear myself away from the book, wanting to know what was going to happen next. At every turn, there was a twist to pull you in or make your heart pound. My attention was fully with the story at all times. 
I realised through enjoying this story that the fast-paced aspect is what I crave for in books.

I recommended this book to my mum who also fell in love with it. So it just goes to show that genres are more guidelines- you can read whatever you want!
If you like reading stories like the Hunger Games or Harry Potter where fantasy has a play, I urge you to read this book! 


The beautiful inside
Very excitingly, this book is the first in a trilogy and I am so so ready for the next one!

The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary 
I wrote a review on this book back in April which you can read here: 
The Flatshare by Beth O'Leary / Book Review



What's It About?
The Flatshare follows Tiffy and Leon- two people that share a bed and have never met. The pair have a clock in clock out system whereby Leon works as a night nurse hence leaving Tiffy the flat late in the evenings and early in the mornings. 
As a way of communicating they leave notes to one another. Essentially, the story is about how much you can get to know about someone without actually meeting them but seeing their world play out around you. 

My thoughts...
I enjoyed this book so much that I would put it at number two of my favourites of 2019.

I won't say too much here as I've written a review previously but this story holds a place in my heart. It's enticing, funny and I would always come away with a feeling of love. Simply wonderful!

When the Curtain Falls by Carrie Hope Fletcher



What's It About?
The story takes place in a theatre and jumps from couple Walter and Fawn, in the 1950s, to Olive and Oscar who are performers of 2018. 
Walter and Fawn are young lovers of the past that were forced to hide their love from the world around them. Seventy years later a new production begins again within the same walls and the new cast starts to experience strange happenings.
Ghosts of theatres past threaten to strike again.

My Thoughts...
It took me a while to get into this story but when I did I was fully invested. Initially, one of the relationships read unhealthy which is something I personally don't enjoy reading. However, I really enjoyed the main arc of the story and the magic and peculiarity that takes place.

I liked that the story jumped back and forth from 1952 to 2018. It felt like solving a puzzle. I was fully within the world of theatre which was a nice setting to read about. Theatre, a place that can only be described as an experience, is somewhere I never find myself but I'm very drawn to. Carrie managed to incorporate the wonder of theatre as well as the ghostly tales that linger in the building. 
The theatrical essence is displayed which brought the entire book together beautifully.

Magic Realism played a big part which I always enjoy. There's something hopeful about magical happenings in a real-life setting. It's as if magic can actually occur in our day to day life. 

I've mentioned before on this blog that the morning after I read the first snippet of the book, I visited an art shop where I again experienced the book in real life. So I walked into the shop to find a painting of a ghostly lady dancing under a spotlight- the very opening scene. I then walked upstairs to the next level of the shop to find a wall of various-shaped mirrors lining the walls. If you've read the book you'll have read that this is how Walter initially sees ghost Fawn. Life is crazy sometimes and I love it when that happens. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and I always recommend it to people who love to read stories with magic realism and chapters that jump back and forth in time. And if you're a theatre lover, you'll really enjoy the essence of this book.

Our Stop by Laura Jane Williams



What's It About?
Our Stop is a fresh focus on a love story that stems from a fantasy. 
Daniel and Nadia are two strangers that take the same train every morning to work. Daniel starts to fall for the girl who's always in a rush, dishevelled and beautiful.
One day Nadia catches sight of a post in the newspaper:


To the cute girl with the coffee stains on her dress.
I'm the guy who's always standing near the doors...
Drink sometime?

My Thoughts...
This is a very cute book...there you go, summed up in six words! 

I adored this story and the theme of breaking the barrier between commuters who are so often in their own space. Don't get me wrong, I like this barrier but it was nice to imagine this scene played out. 
There was one occasion I remember witnessing on my own experience on a train. I was sat behind a lady who was reading her book and in her own space when a man strode up to her and casually stroke up a conversation. I was invested in trying to figure out where this was going to lead and unfortunately I had to vacate the train before I could find out.
What can I say, I love stories!

This is a book that will keep you wanting more. The continuous missed connections and chances made me want to keep reading. I was so desperate to find out what was going to happen next.
There were moments when I could feel my heart pound and times I would come to and realise I was smiling.

It truly is a wonderful story that I will no doubt recommend for life. Well written and I would love to read more from this author. 

How to Find Love in a Bookshop by Veronica Henry


(Read the second half at the start of the year)
What's It About?
Emilia returns to her home town to save the family business; Nightingale Bookshop. She discovers that the stories don't just come from the books lining the walls but the customers with their own captivating tales.

My Thoughts...
I've enjoyed Veronica Henry's writing in books previous however I couldn't quite connect with this one.
That being said, I really liked how there were separate stories that intertwined with one another and getting to know the atmosphere of this little village. All of these stories make the reader feel apart of this town, as if you are there overseeing whats going on. 

I would recommend this book if you like stories that cover more than a couple characters tales.

Dare to Dream by Izzy Judd


(library borrowed which is why the photo is a little bit different)
What's It About?
This is a non-fiction book based on the author's journey into motherhood; her struggles to conceive, her experience of IVF, heartache and hope.


My Thoughts...
I read this book for research on my project at the time and it provided an insight into the side of motherhood that Isn't spoken about all that much. 

I connected with this book In a way I didn't expect. For starters, I didn't think I would connect at all but Izzy speaks about her experience with anxiety and she mentions a stage in her life that felt similar to something of mine. This is when I realised that anxiety took place in areas of life I hadn't then realised.
This all sounds very emotional and sad and it really isn't. Reading this book was simply when I had an 'Oh that's what it was' moment. 

I'd say this is a good, open and honest book to read if you yourself have experienced struggles with conceiving, miscarriage or IVF. Izzy is very positive which shines throughout.
I'd also recommend this book to people who haven't experienced anything like this and would just like to be clued up on subjects of life that arent discussed so much.

Happy Mum Happy Baby by Giovanna Fletcher



What's It About?
Happy Mum Happy Baby is a non-fiction book based on the authors experience of becoming a mum. We learn about Giovanna's journey into parenthood as well as the funny, brilliant, scary, at times lonely, joyous, testing, and the all-around emotional reality.

My Thoughts...
This book inspired me so much so that I looked at motherhood and female characters in one of my projects. I also read it for the second time this year. 

It's one of those books that I have so much to say about but here writing now... there's an overwhelming sence of where do I start? 

My eyes were opened to motherhood in a way that they hadn't been before and now I feel like I'm much more aware of the world. I'm passionate about talking about taboo subjects and making sure people know that there is no one way for anything: If its best for you, then do you and don't put pressure on yourself. In Giovanna's case, she is talking about motherhood but I've taken it in a way that applies to many more areas of life.

If you would like to read my many thoughts on motherhood, last year I started a blog series in which I discuss my findings from research and talking to women/mums around me. 

Here are all the links to the blog posts (Featuring original illustrations):

Motherhood Pre-Motherhood : Introduction and TMI Edition
Motherhood Pre-Motherhood : Road to Baby
Motherhood Pre-Motherhood : The Birth
Motherhood Pre-Motherhood : Baby Is Here
Motherhood Pre-Motherhood : The Magic of Cuddles

I am not a mum (Of which I repeat many times in the series) but that doesn't mean that I didn't love the book. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to find out more about motherhood and if you want to smile, laugh and cry. 

The book is brilliant.

The Dinner List by Rebecca Serle



What's It About?
New Yorker Sabrina arrives at her 30th birthday dinner to find a table filled with her dream dinner party guests. Fantasy and reality merge when her best friend, long-passed father, admired professor, the love of her life and Audrey Hepburn all gather round to celebrate her birthday. Each guest has played a role in Sabrina's life and they each have a reason for being there. 

My Thoughts...
Intrigued as I was to find out what was going to happen, I couldn't get into this book. There were moments that grabbed me and at one point I had a delayed reaction leaving the train, but overall I didn't get that desired connection to the story. 

I would recommend this book to readers who like stories that solve a puzzle and jump back and forth in a timeline. 

The Note by Zoe Folbigg



What's It About?
The book is based on the true story of a girl and her Train Man. 
Maya Flowers takes the train every morning to work when one day she sees a new commuter that fills her stomach with butterflies. 
A leap of faith one morning and she hands her mysterious-stranger crush a note asking him out for a drink.

My Thoughts...
In my notes I have: I Liked

I read this book on the train which was very appropriate. Again I found it lovely that the barriers of commuters was brought down a little bit (although please let's not make this an occurrence) and the fact that it was based on the author's true story. This fact made it even more enticing.

Although there were parts I found I wasn't connected to or intrigued by, I enjoyed the story and the feeling of hope and wonder that was translated all the way through. 
It was interesting to read from the perspective of both characters which felt like we were getting to know the Train Man on Maya's behalf, getting the answers for all of her questions. This is what I love about reading; you are the one in the know (most of the time). 

It's a lovely story I recommend to anyone wanting a lift of love.

The Postcard by Zoe Folbigg



What's It About?
This book is a follow on from The Note (previous book). For this reason, I will not say what happens so as to not give anything away. 

My Thoughts...
I read this straight after the previous which meant that I didn't have to wait too long for my questions to be answered. 

In regards to the other book, this one had more of a thriller edge to it. By this I mean I had a lot of questions like who is this person? and what's going to happen?. I felt on edge at times when reading the more dangerous moments.

...I realise I'm not giving away too much but it is very difficult to not give any spoilers for this follow on story. 

Essentially It was lovely and slightly scary in equal measure.

Recommended to those who have read the previous book.
----------------------------

As ever, Thank you for reading today's blog post. I will be back very soon.

All my Love,
Buddy Summer xx

PS: today I found out there's going to be a new Hunger Games book by Suzanne Collins!


Where to Find Me: 
Instagram
Facebook
Twitter
Bloglovin'
21 Buttons (Fashion)


Popular Posts