Decoupage and chill with me...

------------------------------------------

It's all a bit intense, isn't it?

Just before the second UK Lockdown, I set aside some time in the evening to sit and decoupage, with a film on in the background. When I sat down, I said to myself the following: my family and I are healthy and safe and for this evening I'm going to focus on what I'm doing with that in mind. I essentially gave myself permission not to think about my worries and take the time to make something for me; With no pressure to later be posted on Instagram; Where the time is mine alone and the world outside is paused. 

Afterwards, I felt joy and calm within myself. This time had positively affected my mental wellbeing. 

So for this blog post, I thought I'd give anyone reading the encouragement to do the same. Find a film or tv series to watch in the background and find a creative activity to work on during this time. 

If you haven't decoupaged before, I've written a little step by step below of how I do it...

------------------------------------------------------------

You will need:

(Most craft shops will have a decoupage section where you will find everything you need specific to the craft. However, considering the current climate there are alternatives you can use which I will list after said item.)

- Decoupage glue. (If you search this into google, I use the green bottle called PaperPatch by Decoupage. I've never tried using normal liquid glue but it's worth testing a small piece if you haven't got decoupage glue. The end result should be clear and glossy)

- Decoupage paper or upcycled wrapping paper

- A decoupage paintbrush or an old paintbrush

- An item to decoupage. Most items can be decoupaged however I stick to paper-based products. For example, for this session, I'm using a notebook with a card exterior but in the past, I've decorated a folder, a box, my name in letters, etc.

- A small lid to hold the glue (Example: milk bottle lid)

- Newspaper to protect your work surface.

--------------------------------------------------

Steps:


 I start by ripping my paper into squares as shown above.


I then dip my paintbrush into the glue and coat a small section of where I want to decoupage. Place the square of paper onto the patch of glue and paint over it as shown below. Repeat the process with new squares of paper; overlapping the paper before slightly.


To create a neat edge, I usually paint each side of the surface and fold the paper over the edge. I do this rather than meeting the edge of the paper to the edge of the surface as it's a neater end result. (See picture above and below) 

For the corners, I do the same however it contradicts slightly: one edge of the paper will meet the edge of the surface and the next square will cross over; so that all edges are covered. 

Note that there may be slight bumps in the paper. Try to brush them out but don't worry too much as in my experience they settle once dry.

Also, note that you can decoupage the interior if you so wish but the paper (or if its a box whatever you put inside the box:) tends to stick to the decoupaged surface.



------------------------------------------------------------------------
And this is the end result...It's glossy thanks to the glue which gives it a professional-style finish. 


This is the first time I've used wrapping paper as a replacement for decoupage paper and I'm going to boldly say I think it's better. It's thicker and so the colour underneath doesn't show as much. It's reducing waste and it's such a great use for beautiful wrapping paper. I received this with a birthday gift and now I have a gorgeous reminder of that person.
And, major positive, it's way cheaper to use used wrapping paper than buying decoupage paper!

Moving forward I think I'd like to paint the edge underneath the spiral, but that's just my perfectionist showing. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As ever, thank you for reading today's blog post. I hope doing this gives you some calm in these bizarre times. Feel free to let me know if you try this out. 

Big love and keep safe,

Buddy xx


Where to find me:


Comments

Popular Posts