in the time we lost / Book Review

Book: in the time we lost

Author: Carrie Hope Fletcher

Year of release: 2019

Genre: Magic-realism, Romance

My brief explanation of the story without spoilers: Luna Lark is an independent soul. She's endured many a heartbreak in her 26 years which has lead to her need for a fresh start. Intending to build a new life for herself, where no one knows Luna or her story, she plans to reside in Odingside: a small island off of the wild coast of Scotland. She will escape and she will write and most importantly she will keep herself to herself. But when a freak July snowstorm hits Odingside on her first night Luna has an experience like no other...or one very similar. 

Luna realises that being a new face in a small town will draw the attention she doesn't want. Then she meets Beau- handsome, joyful and kind coffee shop owner- who is most curious of all. 

Spoilers are featured in the review below. If you're reading this with the hopes of finding a new book to read, know that I enjoyed it from start to finish. There was a lot of heart and I'd recommend to anyone interested in a light-hearted read with a bit of magic.

----------------------------------------------

I really enjoyed reading this book. Admittedly It took me a while to pick it up since a year before I had read the prologue and mistakenly assumed the story was a traditional girl meets boy and her sorrows are sealed tale. However, I enjoy Carrie's writing and curiosity took hold, I wanted to read it. 

I was pleased to find that the story was of the magic-realism variety and therefore my predictions weren't always correct- if at all actually, I don't think I guessed many things that happened. Also, it adds excitement and magic isn't incorporated so much that the story completely loses you. 

There are hints of well-known stories such as Groundhog day, Big and 50 First Dates. The repetition proved quite satisfying to read since each time Luna warmed and felt slightly happier. I liked witnessing the changes that were occurring because of slight decisions and the good feeling that they couldn't put their finger on. It's the secret that the author and readers share. 

One of the main messages I got from this story is how powerful good-feeling can be. When your mindset is positive and you're open to your day, the people you meet and experiences can lift you up.

Relating to the world now and the second lockdown the UK is currently in, we are going to have days that can feel the same. What I take from stories such as In the Time We Lost, Groundhog Day and 50 First Dates is that we can wake up each morning and decide what our day is going to be. What do I want to do today? What am I going to wear? What am I going to listen to? What am I going to have for lunch? The best thing we can do for ourselves is to focus on our needs and wants and try and feel as best we can. 

The inside of the Hardback

I warmed to Luna and some of the characters. I think that much like when you visit a small town it's instant how welcomed you can feel, which is how it felt reading this story. As if I trusted all of them to provide warmth for Luna. I guessed that Luna would go on some journey that would help free her of her sadness and a small family-like community is exactly what she didn't want but needed. 

That ending. I needed a full 10 minutes to get over the feels of that ending and even then I woke up thinking about it and replaying it in my head. I like that Luna has a family unit with Wendy and her daughter and she has happiness in her life that isn't romantic but...uh...I wish Beau remembered her. I'm devastated that he doesn't remember her and what they did for each other. I want her to be happy and not have another heartbreak to add to the list. 

I'd like to learn more about what happens to Luna after we leave her. Does she continue to build a home for herself with a love for more people? Has she got her creative mojo back? Does she meet someone new?

I am very glad that I eventually picked it up and I can confidently say I was attached to the story from start to finish. Although this book isn't in my top ten would-take-to-a-desert-island-to-read list, I thoroughly enjoyed this light-hearted tale and I won't hesitate to recommend it to others. 

To round off this review, I have a few questions...What was written on the last note by the fortune teller guy? When did the snow stop and did it occur anywhere else? How do you pronounce Beau? What happened to Jackson? 

What happens to the real estate agent? Do they meet again? So many questions, I'd love to be answered with another book.

-----------------------

Big love and keep safe,

Buddy xx


Comments

Popular Posts