Books I read in 2021



Hello and welcome to my yearly what I read last year blog post.

I'm not going to lie, I've not read nearly as much as I did the first time I wrote one of these. But I'm not too concerned about that. I'm still looking for the genre I enjoy the most. 
My love of stories grew from The Hunger Games and Harry Potter but I also just really enjoy well-written stories that keep me reading and aren't predictable. If you know of any books like that, please let me know.

Books I read last year...

On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves

Brief blurb: English teacher Anna is offered a summer job tutoring teenage boy, TJ, at his family holiday home in the Maldives. Whilst in remission from cancer, TJ faces spending the summer catching up on the school he missed. En route to the Maldives, Anna and TJ's plane crash lands in the Indian Ocean. They have only one another and an uninhabited Island. 

This isn't the first time I've raved about this book. It's brilliant and I've talked extensively as to why in a previous post: here.

I love TJ and Anna and felt like I was right there with them.

It hits differently after experiencing a pandemic. As if disasters like this have more realness to them. So I felt some anxiety when reading, but it remains to be a top-shelf book and I'll recommend it forever.

Emotionally gripping. Highly reccomended.

Book links: Bookshop.org    Amazon

Uncharted by Tracey Garvis Graves

The sequel to On the Island. Again, very good and fulfilling follow-up. It's also quite short so I managed to read it in a day, straight after finishing On the Island.

I've talked extensively about this one too: Here.

Book links: Amazon

The Love Square by Laura Jane Williams

Brief Blurb: Penny Bridge has always been unlucky in love. That is until an unexpected life change, finding herself stepping into a new life in a new town where she meets a possible love interest. And another. And another. Penny has to choose between three of them. But will any of them be the one?

>Fiction, romance, modern relationships/characters.

Firstly, I like that the main character Penny has red hair and she's seen as attractive- a rarity in the world of books and films.

It's an interesting story and there were moments I wanted to keep reading. But overall, the story felt too good to be true with a few clichés. Personally, not my style. 

Not my favourite but a good story with modern themes, is light-hearted and an easy read. I loved seeing open communication. 

I’d recommend to people that like characters that represent modern day, doting love interests, strong female leads and light hearted romance.

Favourite quotes:

It's not a failure to forgive somebody. It's actually quite gracious.

Falling in friendship; friendship as a basis and constant in a relationship.

Book links: Bookshop.org   /   Amazon

The Friend Zone by Abby Jimenez

Brief blurb: Kristen Peterson has her life exactly how she wants it. That's fact until she starts planning her best friends wedding and meets the best man, Josh Copeland. She meets her match in funny, sexy Josh but knows she can't give him everything he wants in life. She tries to keep him at arm's length but as their attraction grows it's become harder and harder to resist falling for the man who seems to be everything she's not allowed to have.

>Fiction. Romantic, steamy, lustful, moving.

I enjoyed reading about the relationship between Kristen and Josh. I'm not going to lie, I wasn't a fan of Kristen, the main character, which would've had an impact on how I viewed the rest of the story. 

Although I did like Josh and there were some really lovely, moving, moments that had me invested.

At times, the story and characters were clichés. Not for me, but if you're a fan of a 21st-century strong female lead and a doting love interest, you'll love it.

Book links:  Bookshop.org / Amazon

Mum life by Louise Pentland


>Non-fiction. An honest account of businesswoman, Louise Pentland's, journey to motherhood, the experiences that shaped her, the story of her business and stories of being a mum.

I liked this book and Louise's warm comical writing. I skipped through some parenting parts that aren't relevant to me. However, what I enjoyed reading the most is about Louise's career. I found it interesting to read how she started her career on her own then gradually built up a job where she shares her passions, and now has a brand and team. I think it's amazing what she's achieved and I feel inspired by her process. 

Favourite quotes:

Anger is a hot stone and by holding it in your hand, you only burn yourself. 

There's nothing noble in struggling when you can see a better path and are able to take it.

Book links: Bookshop.org / Amazon

The Duke and I by Julia Quinn


Brief Blurb: 
Set in Regency London 1813, The Duke and I is the first of a series of novels that focus on each daughter/son of the Bridgerton Family. Daphne, a new eligible member of the Ton, faces having to find a husband in the competitive marriage-minded society. Enter Simon Basset, a desirable and well sought after Duke. Together they come up with a ruse that will attract some worthy suitors for Daphne, whilst keeping desperate mothers at bay.

>Fiction. Historical romance. 

Along with the nation, I watched Bridgerton on Netflix. And then again, and again. So I was hyped about reading the book but disappointed to find that I didn't enjoy the written version as much. 

The sequence differs slightly from the series and you get some extra time with Daphne and Simon. However, I felt that the series had a better rhythm of what happens where and subsequent results. You also get more insight into other characters in the series which helped the story progress.

Great for the context of Daphne and Simon. Not for me.

Book links: Bookshop.org / Amazon

The Lock-in by Phoebe Luckhurst


Brief Blurb: Three housemates. Two best friends. One old flame and a very stuck door.
A flooded kitchen leads three housemates into the attic to turn off the water supply. But when Ben- Alexa's date from the night before- walks in, the door slams and the handle breaks. Leaving the four of them stuck as their house fills up with water. The scene grows more awkward as Ellen watches her best friend fall for this handsome stranger and realises she knows him from somewhere.

>Fiction, romantic-comedy.

An easy read with an intriguing plot. I'd recommend it to people ages 25 - 35 because of the flashback moments to their childhood. The author captured the lingo and vibe of the time really well. If you were within the hype of MSN, this book is for you.

Book links: Bookshop.orgAmazon

You and Me on Vacation by Emily Henry

Brief Blurb: Longtime friends Poppy and Alex have taken holidays together almost every year since they met. But when it all goes wrong two summers ago they lose touch. Poppy asks Alex to join her for one last trip. Could this trip make them realise they're not just friends at all?

> Fiction. Travel, romance.

I’d recommend this book to uni students and anyone that’s been to uni. The story starts off at university and so the overall vibe will connect to students. That being said, it's a story for anyone. A particularly special books for anyone that's loved a best friend.

At first when I read these beautiful people with quirks I thought ugh...another story about devastingly beautiful people with perfect lives. Now I am guilty of coming to this conclusion with books as its so easy to write perfect characters. However, now I look back and see that that's how they viewed one another; beautiful, imperfections and all.

I liked the journey. How the reader was told in drips of their relationship past and present. It made for an interesting story.

Book links: Bookshop.orgAmazon

The Road Trip by Beth O'Leary


Brief Blurb: Addie and her sister are about to embark on an epic road trip to a friends wedding. But not long after setting off, a car slams into the back of theirs. Driven by none other than Addie's ex, Dylan. It's been two years since their traumatic break up and now Addie is forced to give them a lift to the wedding; four hundred miles away.
The car is now packed with people, luggage and secrets and Addie and Dylan cant avoid facing their messy history.

> Fiction. Romance, comedy.

Romantic and sexy with a change-up of vibe towards the end. Thoroughly enjoyable with flashback moments to a beautiful villa in France. I loved reading about the villa especially as I was on holiday at the time.

Strong characters, story and plot. Those twists were unexpected and had me hooked. 

Beth O'Leary has a gift for writing characters and stories.

A thoroughly recommended, feel-good and light-hearted read.

Book links: Bookshop.orgAmazon

-----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading! If you purchase through the links provided, I get a tiny profit. This does not effect the price for you, the consumer. I also haven't been asked to review any of these books and have bought, borrowed of been given them myself.

Big love and keep safe,

Bud xxx

Previous post: Friends-Fest(I've) 2021!

My Socials:

Comments

Popular Posts