August Favourites


I am very keen to get up to date with my favourites and so here is August!

August is and has always been an anxiety-provoking month for me. It stems from when I was younger and I got the back to school feelings after having a cosy and loved up summer. It feels like every year the feelings increase tenfold and this was very much the case this past August. However, anxiety rises and falls like a rollercoaster and there are always Little Things that make moments wonderful.

Without further ado, here are my 21 favourite things about my August 2019...

1) Sunshine- It came back. Whoooo!

2) On the 3rd of August, I went to the cinema to see Yesterday for the second time. Any film that I come away from and feel good or uplifted is worth that additional viewing- be it 3rd, 5th or even 10th! 

3) Jenny- my mannequin. I was gifted a well-loved mannequin this month and it is wonderful. I've named her Jenny which is ever so slightly borrowed from Doctor Who; the Doctors daughter. I figured that she should have a name and it should be one that doesn't come with a face in my memory. Plus she is going to regenerate into many brilliant characters so it was perfect. I didn't want her to be naked in the corner of the room so I draped fabric around her and a few beaded necklaces and voila...



4) Seeing a koala! I visited Longleat for the first time and discovered these cuddly animals...



5) Whilst at Longleat, I decided to have a little walk around the Maze. I was really excited about this, actually. I'm not 100% sure why but I think it has something to do with feeling adventurous whilst being faced with a challenge that's not too scary. 

6) Monkeys at Longleat- To round off the day, we visited a monkey enclosure where cars can drive through whilst the monkeys climb over the top. It's safe as the cars drive very slowly and the monkeys are mostly in their clusters until they see a car to jump onto. At one point we actually got to see an adult monkey protect their young one from a car wheel when the latter wanted to play with it. It's a really fun part of the Longleat experience that I recommend to anyone visiting. 



7) Results day- Collecting my results for my creative subject and finding the book I've been looking for for ages! (read about my day here)

8) When the Curtain Falls by Carrie Hope Fletcher- I really enjoyed this book and what's crazy is that the day after I started reading it I visited an art shop with a painting of a grey ghostly young lady dancing under a spotlight- which, if you've read the book you'll know that we join the story on the one night of the year this theatre couple are reunited. Walter appears in his true to life older body whilst Fawn remains in the body of her younger self and rhythmically reenacts the performance of her untimely death. The book takes place in a theatre and jumps from this couple, Walter and Fawn, in the 50s to Olive and Oscar who are performers of today. 
As well as this, the opening chapter mentions a wall of many mirrors which are used initially to see the ghost of this long-past leading lady. Walking to the upstairs of this art shop, adorned on the walls were many mirrors with quirky frames. It was very surreal and quite amazing at the same time!
I highly recommend this book for people who love magic-realism. Truth be told at the beginning I didn't enjoy it as much as it was a lot about a relationship that didn't read healthy. I'm not one to read stories like this but eventually, I got into it when I found that there was a lot to the story; magic and wonder, Ghosts and peculiarity. 

I am definitely not sponsored (although wouldn't mind if I was *Wink*) but I found this book for £2.00 online which I think is amazing. It's a wonderful story that is embedded in my head. I'll leave a link to the online store here



9) Finding a tardis!- I found a Tardis whilst away for the weekend- Cas. I kind of knew that this actual Police box (although I'm not sure if it's still used) existed in this particular place but actually seeing a Tardis was very cool. It was wider than I imagined. I wanted to go up and touch it but there was a lot of people around who are probably used to seeing it every day and I felt weird so I didn't. One day though...


...I mean, look at it
10) About Time- A film that puts time travel in a very normal and modern-day setting. It may be feeling obsessed with Doctor Who as a youngin' that makes me crave time travel but the whole idea of going back on your own timeline and making small changes fascinates me. 
As a matter of fact, as I sat on the train earlier today I was thinking of a quote from the film: "Live every day as if it were on purpose". It's all too easy to get swept up in the day to day life but every time I watch this part of the film I'm reminded of the power the mind has as well as what life really is. There's a much bigger picture that I think we all lose sight of.

This film gives me lots of good feeling: it makes me feel love and never fails to put a smile on my face- on many occasions. One to cherish and make a note of. 

11) Spontaneous beach trip- In my notes I have: Spontaneous Beach Trip, just laid there, great. Myself and a friend travelled to the beach very randomly on one sunny day after completing what we had to do. We had chips and tea and played the celebrity alphabet game; where you say the name of a celebrity and the next person has to think of another celebrity with the first letter being the first of the formally mentioned celebs surname. Get it?
We moved to the stones and, sat there in my jeans, I rested my bag as my pillow and enjoyed the sun for a bit. Very relaxing. Even in jeans. 



12) A day with my mum then a BBQ: ...exactly that, I spent a lovely day with my mum and afterwards we had a BBQ, In which I wore...



13) ...this very Pretty Dress- I've had this dress for a long time and I just love the pattern! I don't think you can buy it in shops anymore but I bought it in H&M. 

14) Sewing Dungarees- I learnt how to make my own dungarees from a tailored block that I made for my measurements this year and I am so thrilled to be able to know how to do this! I made myself a pair in an old duvet cover which I will talk more about soon.




15) Pearl pins- One of the many joys of having a tidy is that you find things you forgot you had. For me, this was pearl pins! I love pearls I think they're beautiful. 

16) Finding a book from my Must-Get Book List; Our Stop by Laura Jane Williams. This is a very cute book, I really liked this story 
...There you go, summed up in eleven words! Our Stop is a fresh focus where the love story starts from a fantasy. Other stories tend to have the protagonists get to know one another first, at least a bit, whereas this book has a guy starting a fantasy over someone he sees on his daily train commute. Daniel sees Nadia every morning- or whenever she can catch the right train- and sends her a message through the newspaper in the hopes to makes this fantasy of his a reality. 

What drew me to the book was the premise and I wasn't disappointed with how I craved getting back to reading and hoping for these two characters, after countless close calls and near misses. 

For a while this book was £2.50 from Tesco if you're in the UK, however, I'm not too sure that this is still the case. 

17) Sewing denim jackets- I was very kindly asked to embellish two denim jackets for a wedding. I love being asked to do things like this because as well as it is flattering, it means that I've been a part of making a special day the best it could be. 



18) Afternoon walks- Very good for physical and mental health, I felt a lot better after some fresh air and exercise.

19) Song: You Matter To Me by Carrie Hope Fletcher, Featuring Oliver Ormson. I have loved this song since I first heard it from Carrie's album over a year ago. It is beautifully sung and I find myself singing it when I'm feeling calm or wanting to feel calm. 

20) Songs: I Dreamed a Dream and On My Own from Les Mis (Carrie Hope Fletchers version). At this point, I was yet to watch the film but I loved hearing these songs and knowing some of the lyrics. 

21) Finally, on the 29th I went to watch fireworks from a boat. Things like this don't happen every day.



As ever, thank you for reading today's post. I'm going to leave a link below to my previous post, a lot of people enjoyed this so thank you very much, I'll be back soon!

Previous Post: Recently I've Been...

All my Love,
Buddy xx

Where To Find Me:
Instagram
Facebook
Twitter
BlogLovin' 
 


Popular Posts