Books I read as a child #Bookshopday

October 9th marks national #Bookshopday in celebration of book shops up and down the country. 

As I am part of bookshop.org where the emphasis is placed on independent book shops, I thought I'd highlight a few of my favourites from my childhood. Plus bookshop.org is offering free shipping for the entire day on October 9th- so you get to help out an independent book shop AND save a bit of money too by ordering through the following links.

I'll leave links in the title for each book. Full disclosure, I do earn a small profit from purchasing through the link (as is the way of internet life 2021), however, this doesn't take any money away from the book shop. Nor does it increase the price for you the consumer. Keeping it honest.

--------------------------------------

Thinking back to when I was a child, there are a lot of books that stand out in my memory as special or significant. I was either listening to them being read by the teacher with my class or reading them independently. Some books we would look forward to listening to at the end of the school day whilst others were made into a theme for the weeks' activities.

Recently I discovered a box of my old storybooks and it got me thinking about all the times that were made special because of the enthusiasm put into great stories; plus the brilliant stories themselves!
Without teachers and parents allowing time for reading, I may not have developed my love of stories to quite the extent that I love them now.

How special that we can discover new worlds and possibilities, and create them if we so wish, from the simple act of opening up a book.

Without further ado, these are some of my favourite books from when I was a child...

Starting from a toddler and up...Five Minutes Peace by Jill Murphy (Linked: activity and sticker book version)


Even just seeing this book gives me huge nostalgia and I love it so much. It reminds me of reading at home and thinking My mum probably wants peace too. A lovely read and great for giving the children a hint!

Peace at last by Jill Murphy


Along the same lines. I guess my parents were really trying to get the point across. Enough that I remember it now as an adult. Again, such a sweet easy read for little ones.

Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (Linked: Flat Stanley - Plays Ball)

I remember this one being read to my class in year 2 at the end of every school day. It was very exciting for all of us when we discovered that Stanley would be the width of the book, meaning that he could fit under our classroom door.

I've since learned that this book is a classic and even my mum read it at school.

George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl...

This was another class favourite in infant school and I can recall thinking about this book for ages after. Imagining what ingredients I could use to make my own potion.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett


This one, my year group watched the film of and I was so obsessed with it. Loving the idea of a beautiful exciting garden all to myself.

The Jolly Postman by Janet and Allan Ahlberg...


This was my big sisters' book that I wasn't allowed to read (she doesn't read my blog) so I'd have to sneak away and read it somewhere quietly. To be honest, even now as a twenty-two-year-old I love the idea of this story, all the characters you meet and the fact that you actually get to hold the letter and read for yourself. 

The Switch by Anthony Horowitz


Getting to Juniors school age now, this story was so enticing. We'd read it together as a class with the teacher and there was mutual excitement across the classroom. Everyone would be quiet and listening so intently that when someone would knock on the door for the teachers' attention we'd all get a bit impatient waiting for it to continue.

Engaging. Interesting switch in chapters where the story's told from the two main characters.

Double Act by Jacqueline Wilson


Juniors school age to early secondary school. The Jacqueline Wilson books including Tracy Beaker were strong favourites when I was this age. It was also around the time when Tracy Beaker the tv series came about so I had a huge interest in these stories and illustrations. 

Handa's Surprise by Eileen Browne


As a year group in Juniors school, this book was made into a theme for the week. I can picture their being bowls of fruit so we could learn their names and brightly coloured displays around the classrooms. We were all so intrigued and involved in this story. Just looking at it, lovely memories come to mind. 

--------------------------------------------

All in all, there are so many books that have the possibility to be favourites. Especially if they are attached to a special memory. For example, receiving it for Christmas or reading it in school or at bedtime. 
I've been reading to my 6-year-old niece recently and she picks up the story so quickly. She's able to tell me what happens in other stories too which shows me how much she's engaging. Great for the mind, imagination and chill time.

Thank you for reading.

Big love and keep safe,

Bud xx

Previous Post: Seeing Mcfly Young Dumb Thrills Tour 2021

Where to find me:

Comments

Popular Posts