My Met Gala 2021 favourites


Hello and welcome to another blog post.

I wanted to pop on here and make a note of my favourite outfits from the Met Gala 2021. 
I've never really paid too much of my attention to this event, however this year I was intrigued and as a result of that I've compiled a list of my favourites. I'm also hoping that this creativity will rub off on me and I'll get back into making large scale pieces. Because once upon a time, this was what I worked on regularly and it was a fulfilling way of spending my time.

So without further ado, my favourite outfit is this beautiful gown worn by Rachel Smith, designed by Rodarte...


I'm a sucker for anything made in this shade of pink and I adore the red speckles. I like the layers of ruffles- this with the soft colour, I think it's beautiful and elegant, yet bold with the large puffy shoulders. 

Much the same with the previous, I like this colour palette and I also really like the detail and context. 
Worn by Dan Levy, designed by Loewe...


Incorporating map and ocean visuals makes for gorgeous pastel colours with some bolder blues. The bodice features two figures kissing and to me this represented love across the oceans; two people able to meet and fall in love whilst coming from different places. I enjoy this use of contest and textile detail.

Natalia Bryant and Connor Ives in Connor Ives...


I was pleased to find out from Connor Ives's instagram that this dress is made from recycled plastic. So not only is it really pretty but Connor has kept in mind the current and ongoing issue of recycling.
I found this dress intriguing due to the shape. It reminds me of marbles I would play with as a child with the bright colourful flowers. The shape, I was surprised to see in an event as prestigious as this sinceit gives no indication of the figure underneath- very rare for female clothing.
This is a really fun peice.
 
Jordan Alexander in Christopher John Rogers...


What I like the most about this dress is the colour pallette. It's not a combination I'd usually go for but I think it works really well.

Tessa Thompson in Iris Van Herpen...


I'm drawn to the 3D pattern cutting/ textiles of this outfit. It's a technique that draws the eye and makes every sewerwonder how it's made. 
The theme for the Met gala this year was In America, I'm not sure exactly what the idea was behind this peice but paired with the hat I get a show performer type vibe. Like it would fit in the 1970's Chicago musical.
Experimental and creative, worn beautifully by Tessa Thompson.

Hailee Steinfeld in Iris van Herpen...


Instantly, my mind went to the wedding dress in the Hunger Games Catching Fire film, where Katniss stands on the stage and transforms from this dress. Even down to the colour, 3D section that protrudes from the shoulder and the line detail. I've wanted to make something similar to this since the film and I love that this has made an appearence.

Kehlani in Aliette...


I like this outfit simply based on the fact that it reminds me of the trouser and jacket combination that Hilary Duff weares in Lizzie Mcguire movie, on the stage at the end. It's very millenial - 2000's and I quite enjoy it.
Also, looking really close at the detail I found that the sparkles came from small crystals (70,000 to be exact) and I'm wondering If I have the tools to try this kind of technique out as I definately have the patience.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts