May Favourites/ Tangent


May went by very quickly as it was the final month of my big project. This month featured lots of creativity and it involved a lot of channelling my experiments into final somethings. Although I won't yet share my final outcomes (I managed to get out of stage 4 of the creative process. See this post), I'm going to share the things that lifted me up this month...



The biggest favourite thing of May- and any time- has been the dark room. I absolutely love the darkroom! To say I love it simply isn't enough- it's my place. I spent one whole day in this room and it made my soul happy. It's a place I feel at peace and somewhat confident and I think this is because I'm emersed in the experience of the darkroom, fully focused and creating things that wow myself. I believe the reason why I love it so much is that at first I found the processes quite challenging and so achieving them and doing them well is an achievement each time.

I can often be found in there, something that makes me smile is when I can hear my lecturer calling me as she always guesses I'm behind that black curtain in the hug that is the darkroom.



2) Modern Family- This series has been what I look forward to at the end of the day. I started to re-watch from the 6th series and now I've followed them in order to reach series 3- my favourite I'd say.
My favourite character is Phil. I just think he's hilarious and his innocent expression when he hasn't realised that he's said something that means another makes me smile. 


Eating the last of my M&M Easter mini eggs

3) Illustrations- I have a feeling that this will be a love of mine forevermore. I managed to incorporate my illustrations into my final outcomes and at my showcase. My plan is to incorporate them into my blog posts!


4) Cyanotypes- this will be on every Favourite list as long as I live- even if it's not literally on the month's Favourites blog post. I have been given the name- by many people on different occasions- of Cyanotype Queen. I am very accepting of that title. just recently someone walked into the room I was working in and addressed me as Cyanotype Queen then proceeded to ask me for cyanotype advice.

If you're not aware of what Cyanotypes are: this is a photographic process in which you scientifically mix up chemicals to paint onto a material, reveal to UV and later create a beautiful cyanotype image.
this topic holds much too big of a space in my brain which means there will be a Cyanotype themed blog post later on. 




5) Chatting art and creativity- being in a creative environment means that you're often surrounded by like-minded people. I've found that conversations I have involve exchanges of ideas and a lot of: 'yeah, I think that too!'. I like hearing different takes on things also as I, in turn, develop my own opinions or am introduced to a different side of the said thing. 

I've always been the 'deep' one in my family and so I'm pleased to have these discussions where it's not just me that takes it to that place.

6) Teddy Bear Printing- one of the experiments from this project that turned out wonderfully. I'm really intrigued by the results of the bear on the material. 
I also carried out the process on my table top which involved painting directly onto the surface of the table. Funnily enough, I felt very adult doing this- yes, my table and I can paint it as I wish. 



7) The song Superstar by Jamelia- I heard this in an office I walked into briefly and it reminded me of the old days. Yes, I'm old enough to say 'old days'. I just remember hearing this song when I was younger and loving it.

8) Paint- I had a couple days of screenprinting and I just adore the process. I got rather carried away as I do and after finishing my prints for my outcome I got creative and mixed up my own fun and quirky colours. 




9) Embroidery- machine embroidery to be exact. I love working hard on something and really focusing on it to then produce a result I'm happy with. Sample to follow soon but for now, here is an example of a previous embroidery of mine: 




It's been a month of mix and matched emotions and days. Some very stressful days where I was pushing to complete my final outcomes but I really feel like it's going to be days that I think back at with fond memories.

As ever, thank you very much for reading and happy Monday!

Love,
Buddy Summer xx

Where to find me: BlogLovin' 
Instagram
Facebook
Twitter



Popular Posts