A very chance meeting on a train platform



A few years ago I had a very chance encounter on a train platform on my way home from college. At the time I was in my second year and in the process of making my final major project.

I met a lady who I'm always reminded of whenever I make memory blankets. 

I guess because of Covid and how my every day has changed, I've been thinking a lot about these chance encounters and the people I've spontaneously met. 

Below is a write up of the encounter, which I wrote in 2018.

A very apt meeting on a platform

Arriving at the station for my train home, I started to descend the steps of the platform, out of breath and bedraggled. I looked to find that the train scheduled before mine stood still on the tracks.


There was a large group of people and a huddle at the bottom of the steps where I was about to pass. I noticed a collection of people peering in my direction and thought I probably looked a right sweaty mess from my rush to the station in the heat. As I turned the corner I got a whiff of strong alcohol coming from the man at the centre of the huddle- the one with a bloodstain down his t-shirt and face.


I decided it was best to walk down to the far end of the platform away from the hubbub and so I stood with my arms over my ribs, looking in the direction of the automatic information board, trying to figure out what on earth was happening. 


The remaining passengers swiftly exited the now off-schedule train and joined everyone on the platform. Along with the confused and hesitant people, a lady of an older age proceeded to help her husband carry their suitcases onto the concrete. She looked at me with a miffed expression and joined her many selections of suitcases.


A short while later this lady, dressed smart-casual with short greying hair, turned to make a passing comment on the situation. Feeling brave I asked what had happened. Long story short there was a fight between two men and all passengers had to be evacuated very quickly from the train.


We started chatting about the absurdity of the situation meanwhile her husband was back and forth sussing the event and planning ahead. She turned to me and asked me what I do. Not willing to give away too much (stranger danger and all that) I said that I do fashion and textiles. This lady we will call Linda gave me a delightfully surprised look and said ahh I used to be a textiles teacher. She's now retired and creates quilts, teaches others how to make them and gave me a tip for my issue with stretchy fabric: try bonda-web. (Editors note: I now use interfacing on my memory blankets because of Linda's tip)

I then started to talk about what I create and my current project. I had my work of the day with me and she was intrigued to see it. She gave me some useful tips and ideas: 

  • With my ice replica experiment: “try enlarging this and screen-printing it”.

  • Block printing the designs I had

She liked my idea of rust dying and I am most excited to try the screen-printing idea.


(Editors note, below is how some of the screen-print samples turned out)



When explaining that I was looking at the Titanic for this project she gasped, turned around in a full circle with astonishment and laughter and playfully nudged my arm “we are heading for a cruise!”. She explained that she was talking to her friend not long ago about how she was dreading the cruise and she and her husband have gone as far as writing there Will last week for fear of sinking.


The police had turned up and the train was given the go-ahead. Linda's husband returned and before he could finish his sentence Linda excitedly said “Guess what this young lady does? Textiles!”.


All passengers started to board the train. Linda, her husband and their American friend they had made on their journey rushed their luggage back onto the train. Linda gave me a British hug and kiss on the cheek and said I will see you on the TV one day. I wished her good luck with her cruise and the train parted from the station.


------------------------------------------------------------

What made this encounter feel crazy at the time were the links to Titanic and the similarity we had of textiles; Me doing a project on the titanic, Linda heading for a cruise, the American friend they'd made on the train, Linda previously being a textiles teacher and the unexpected event on Linda's journey. And overall the fact that our two worlds came together at this point.

I always used to meet new people when I was a regular on the train and these are some lovely memories I have. It's also something nice to think about as, especially when I was younger, I'm introverted. Being around the same group of people during the last year has been a comfort but most definitely a hindrance in building confidence; which I found myself to be in my days at college where I'd travel and interact with new people. I'm wondering if these moments will happen when life gets back to 'normal'. Because as much as I feel safe keeping my distance, a part of me is missing that connection with people outside my bubble.


I have no pictures from this day so I hope that my words have managed to draw the image for you.

Thank you for reading my blog post.

Big love and keep safe,

Buddy xx

Comments

Popular Posts