Making a memory quilt - Commission


Recently I've been busy working on this memory quilt. 


This is essentially a blanket made up of special clothing. I was asked to make this one for a baby boy; using his onesies, baby grows, tops, trousers and socks that he's grown out of. All of which the family have memories of- baby's sleep onesie, the top given to him from big brother, the favourite outfit the family loved to dress him in.



The front is made up of clothing whilst the back features plain blue fabric. The most challenging- and equally rewarding- part of making these blankets is working out how all of the different sizes fit together. Sometimes it takes sewing together two strips of the same item to make a square whilst other times there might be a popper or button in the way which I need to workaround. I was very fortunate with how these pieces fit together- either that or I'm getting used to the process!




I always embroider the name and date of birth which I think adds that individual homemade touch. It's also great for families with more than one memory blanket, so you can remember who's is who's.
This one is symmetrically framed by two patterns I know the family favour.


Wadding features on the inside so the quilt can be used as a blanket or play mat, or wall-hanging if they so wish. I've made a few of these blankets now and the parents always say they won't let the children near it for a while to keep it nice. I take that as a huge compliment <3.

I'm about to start my next commissioned memory blanket and (with permission) I'll update my blog with some pictures.
------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading. Memory quilts are such a special keepsake and I feel honoured to be trusted with the task. The family that asked me to make this loved it and even said they had a little cry. I have that effect on people sometimes.


Big love and keep safe,

Buddy xx

Comments

Popular Posts