My festive makes of December 2020...

Leading up to Christmas 2020 (which I'm surprised to say is next week!) I have been exploring a range of different mediums to get myself feeling festive. I've painted, sewn, drawn and baked, which writing it all down is a much longer list than I thought.

The best way to show you is to start from the very beginning. My Christmas began when I joined an Instagram art club on a Saturday during lockdown part 2, where we learnt to draw a jazzy jumper. This was my first play with paint since the early Lockdown and kicked off many drawings to come...

...including an acrylic Robin which I painted whilst watching The Holiday.

There were big plans to make an advent calendar from fabric. Of which I still have the pieces of right now in a pile in front of me. So it's not yet made and time has escaped me, however, I plan to get to it before the year is out. I will be well prepared for Christmas 2021.

Instead, when I could see that the fabric advent calendar was taking a wee while, I made myself an advent jar. I washed up a jar and scrubbed the label off, picked a decoration off the tree and tied velvet ribbon to the neck, securing the decoration to the ribbon...

I stitched a felt fairy light garland which I found on Pinterest by ohyaystudio. I chose many colours that I love and I really enjoyed making it. Super easy, very cathartic and a lovely result.


I painted a wreath in acrylic whilst watching Nativity and How To Lose a Guy in Ten Days. There are little bits I'd touch with Photoshop but otherwise, I am happy with it. 

So talking about baking and my skillset, I sit comfortably with the beginners. Not baking much in my spare time, but within the handful of times I have baked as an adult I mostly go for cinnamon swirls. I use the Baking with Granny blog recipe and add apple- because for some reason apple and cinnamon always go together in my mind. It's lovely. 

I've posted some handmade Christmas decorations on an eBay account I've started. I also have an Etsy but I've decided to compare the selling experience on both sites. If you want to have a look at my eBay shop, click here.

I baked millionaire shortbread for the first time In my life. There's a little bakery I went to just after the first lockdown was lifted and they make the best millionaire shortbread I've ever tasted. I've been missing it so I attempted my own with a marbling design in chocolate. Not as soft as the bakeries and I did manage to fudge up the chocolate ever so slightly but it tasted like millionaire shortbread so I say that's a win. 

Since October I've been working on a digital illustration a friend had commissioned me to make. It's a Christmas present so I won't share it yet but hopefully, I can share at least a bit of it one day in the future. 

----------------------------------------------------------

These are the festive-themed crafts I've been up to in the build-up to Christmas. Thank you for reading and If I don't post before, I hope you have a lovely Christmas and New Year.

Big love and keep safe,

Buddy Summer xx


Where to find me:

Comments

Popular Posts