It's the Little Things...


The 23rd of March marks a whole year since lockdown first begun in the UK. I say this knowing that every single person reading, knows this fact well. 
You've probably heard this many times and personally, it brings me a feeling that I don't yet have a word for- surprise being the ultimate one.

When I look back at the past year I can see that so much has changed in such a short amount of time. I actually struggle to remember what my outlook on life was before as now it's changed so much.

I've compiled a list of things that provided me with happiness in the past year. It's a pretty hefty list, mostly featuring food, so I forgive you for not reading the whole thing. 
It was helpful to me to find moments of joy each week for my Girl About the House blog posts and it's something I've continued to do.

Finding the positives is a wonderful repetition I've gotten into. I'm thankful for every single moment/day/thing that I've found joy in no matter how small. 


It's the little things that provide happiness...
- Warm mini sausage rolls!
- Books: 
The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, Eve of Man and Eve illusion
- Tidying, I managed to tidy and organise my living spaces so much that I've now got really lovely spaces. 


- Bakery fresh shortcake biscuits, coated with chocolate and sprinkles. 
- Being given a book that's been on my reading list: The Switch by Beth O'Leary.
- Since my hair is growing longer, I'm able to messily wrap it into a messy bun and sometimes it looks half decent.
 
- I received a postcard from my sister which had a photo of us along with a lovely message from her to me and a quote. It was so lovely and it came to me at just the time I needed it...Here's the quote: 
Washing fabric- more specifically, standing in a full washing line of freshly washed fabrics- a nice relief from the hot sun.
- Ice cream with the sunshine on my face
- Homemade Brownie/Cookie/Cake. Basically a cake with chocolate and crunchie bits.
- Sitting outside in the sun reading for hours.
- Weird dancing to great songs. Since the lockdown began I've found that I'm more silly and goofy with my family and especially along to music. Stopping has meant that I'm not as stressed and I appreciate chilled moments.
- Hugs with people I love
- Showing my family the waitress songs and seeing them enjoy them too
- Homemade Millionaire Shortbread
- Easter eggs
- Homemade gooey brownies
- My family singing Happy Birthday to my niece over facetime as she blew out the birthday candles.
- Being asked to make face masks
- Breakfasts with sausages and toast
- Late afternoon family BBQ's


- Sewing on a machine
- Old photographs! Clearing out a cupboard, we stumbled across old photographs and I found a lovely one of me and my uncle when I was younger. I adore photographs and to find one I haven't seen before- and of someone so special- was really lovely.
- Talking about books on a walk; specifically The Eve Illusion book
- Putting clothes on eBay- I've been really enjoying writing descriptions, which let me tell you, I create a lifestyle in my descriptions. 
- Turning my phone off
- Creating my own set-up to catch up with a programme. I had cushions, blankets, a table right beside me with everything I would need and fluffy socks for the colder hours of the day.
- The garden growing more and more flowers which mean colour explosions everywhere. 


- Dancing to the Jonas Brothers with my sister.
- I received a gift and a lovely card from my sister. It was The Boy the Mole the Fox and the Horse by Charlie Macksey. This is an artist I'd recently discovered and I adore his work so this gift was even more appreciated than I think was intended.
- My niece arriving safely and healthy
- Singing on my own; which sounds really sad but there's something so lovely for your soul (and voice box) singing as much as you want to whatever you want and releasing whatever it is that needs releasing. No judgement and no complaints when you repeat songs.
- Putting music on and getting on with work. I really enjoyed listening to songs I like- and some new ones- and feeling that push to get on and achieve something by the end of the day. 
- Sitting in the garden under the sunshine 
- Watching back concerts I've been to...granted I haven't been to many but there are at least 50 versions of that concert in various locations of the arena.
- Re-watching movies and shows I watched as a child.
- Walks to beautiful places.

This picture was taken just after the first lockdown where three cruise ships sat in the ocean with nowhere to go.

- Cadbury Oreo chocolate egg
- I'm a celebrity get me out of here 2020 series
- Chocolate spread on thick white toast
- Fairy lights
- Sleeping with a hot water bottle
- Modern Family tv show binge
- Re-listening to One Direction
- The smell of rain on concrete
- My new baby nephew arriving safely and healthy
- Writing blog posts that flow naturally
- Following the journey of Bridgerton the musical. Those songs...incredible!
- Movie nights with my sister
- My family and I are safe and healthy

...and I hope it's these little things- and lots more- that I hold onto. 

Thank you for reading.

Big love and keep safe,

Buddy xx


Popular Posts