Homemade and Low-Cost Mothers Day Flower Bouquet / Tutorial



Hello and welcome to another blog post! I hope you are healthy and happy and coping well with the current situation that we've all found ourselves in right now.  

If like me you’ve had you’re head down buried in work or focused on various things, you may have lifted your head briefly for a moment to realise that this Sunday is Mother’s day. When cinemas, pubs, theatre shows and most social gatherings were put on hold on Monday the 16th it put a stopper in my one and only gift idea for my mum; a cinema trip, on me. However, thinking back to last year I realised that one of the gifts I gave (because I left the other somewhere else and needed to figure something out quickly!) was made at home with a day to spare and entirely out of what I had around me. You know what? Mumma Summer loved it. 

A proper mummy’s mummy is my mum and she loves, more than anything, homemade gifts- even when her children are grown up and even though said gift has a life span. Does pay to have an artist in the family. 

...which is why in this blog post I’m going to show you what I made for my mum last year for Mother’s day (and again this year if it comes to it). This is especially perfect for those of you readers who are self-isolating with your mum or who aren’t and can pop it round to her. 

So, what you’ll need is:
- A glass jar (for example an old jam jar)
- String; for decorative purposes
- Flowers from your garden and or flowers from the supermarket (latter is optional)
- Scissors
- Water
- Old newspaper
- A bucket or vase of some kind to temporarily hold shop bought flowers up right. 

First, find a jar and give it a good clean. Gently scrub away any labels and make sure all traces of the contents have disappeared. The jar I used was previously used to hold the decorative string so it was fairly tall and thin. Any jar will do; it could be a jam jar, or even a tin-can looks pretty cool (see pictures below). Just make sure the contents are finished with!

Scavenge your garden for some flowers, alternatively buy some from the supermarket if you can. I found flowers in a variety of heights, colours and types and I also had a bunch I bought from the supermarket.



Tall leaves are perfect!
Layout recycled newspapers on your work surface and spread out the flowers in front of you. Trim away any browning or older areas that have seen better days. 

Collect the glass and the string and wrap the string semi-tightly around what would be 'neck' of the jar. Hold loose the start of the string so that at the end you can make a knot. I wrapped roughly 6 times but it's completely up to you. You can cover the jar so that the contents are invisible or just make a little band. What I will say is that with the latter option It's easier to tie a bow at the end. Depending on your jar, you will need roughly 80cm of string- the bigger the band the more string you need.

Next step: Tie a bow with the string to secure it in place. 

Pour water into the jar, halfway up. 

Put the tallest plant in first and hold it at the inner edge of the jar. Add-in more flowers and keep playing with the arrangement until you are happy. 

Notes: 
- The flowers already starting to tilt downwards look best at the edge of the jar. They add volume and conceal the stems meaning that there's colour all the way up to the very top of the bouquet.
- Spread them out so there are mixtures of colours.
- Use flowers that are different in shape, colour and type. 

Here is the bouquet I made for my mum for Mothers day 2019...




Let me explain the tin... I was worried about the jar of water tipping over and so I placed it in a giant tin that I happened to find. I quite like the look of this though.

----------------------------------

I realise that this post is delivered to you very close to Mothers day but currently time is a very funny thing and this gift is a small gesture of love and positivity that can be given to anyone and at any time. 

As ever, thank you for reading and I wish you all well.

Lots of love,

Buddy xx


Where to find me:

Popular Posts