Chrimbo-Limbo Film Recommendation!


In need of a pick-me-up for your post Christmas blues? I’ve got you covered.

What I wasn’t expecting to discover during this Chrimbo-limbo was a gorgeously cosy Christmas film that I’d become completely charmed by. I’ve managed to find the cosiest feel-good Christmas film released this year and it gave me a lift I didn’t know I needed.

This is Christmas follows commuter Adam (played by Alfred Enoch) as he attempts to bring together the strangers on his daily commute, proposing a Christmas party with the help of fellow commuter Emma (played by Kaya Scodelario).

The movie has you thinking about all of the times you’ve commuted. Have you ever been curious about your fellow commuters? Do you imagine a life for them from what you learn from site? Have you ever struck up a conversation with a stranger? 

The premise can be defined by one quote: Strangers are just friends you haven’t met yet. It’s about the connections you can build by simply talking to the people you share part of your day with. I feel like it’s a very British thing to keep your head down and keep to yourself when you’re travelling. I too have been guilty of this. However, what’s charming about This is Christmas is that we get to see the very different lives of each individual traveler. They’re all different ages, with different backgrounds, jobs, ethnicity’s and pasts. At first glance they have nothing in common whatsoever, except the very boring daily journey. But really at the end of the day they’re human beings and who knows what you’ll have in common unless you say hello. 

The movie touched my heart. There’s something so innocent and sweet about the idea of strangers getting to know each other in such a wholesome way. When the characters interact with one another, it’s all very hesitant and sometimes awkward. I constantly had a smile on my face at how cute everyone was.

-Via Radio Times

Back when I would take the train to college I would recognise the same people. It would be comforting to see familiar faces and know that I was on the right train. On occasion I would chat with some people but mostly it was the shared eye-roll when the train was delayed. Or the small smile from bike-man you see every morning. The awkward smiles when the coach is being serenaded by a obnoxious drunk guy.
You can meet some lovely people on trains (and some very strange folk, so it’s always best to keep your wits about you!). I remember once sitting on the train reading my book when I overheard a guy around mid-twenty’s approach a woman around the same age. He started the conversation with Hi…have I met you before? Turns out they hadn’t and I know this because I subtly listened to their meet-cute as I pretended to read my book. Gutted my stop arrived before the end of their conversation. I’m a sucker for a meet-cute!

I highly recommend this movie if, like me, you enjoy light-hearted feel-good story’s. No cheese to be found.

I’m going to leave you with my favourite quote from the film…Talent is the same. Your craft might be better. Your skills may be honed, but talent is talent. Who knows how good you’ll be until you show them. You never know, you could be sat next to someone with an incredible creative talent.

Thank you for reading.

Have a lovely new year!

Comments

Popular Posts