A Cyanotype September (Sans sunshine)

So it turns out you can expose a cyanotype print of your own, without the sun. Who knew this was possible other than using UV light bulbs? 

Definitely not me. So today I'll be sharing photographs from my cyanotype experiment days this past September. I'm placing emphasis on the word 'experiment' as I used this summer to get back into it. The last time I did this process was at college where industrial resources were at my disposal. This time however it was just me, some paper and fabric, a clip frame and cyanotype powders- and the occasional visit from the sun.

To start off I went on a walk in my local area, looking for plants and flowers that have an interesting shape. With flowers in particular, I look for characteristics like 'veins' on the petals as these create beautifully detailed prints. 



The prints I've featured are the best of the bunch. With some, I bombarded the surface with way too much and it ended up looking quite naff. Whilst others either ripped or the print washed away in the rinsing step. The latter occurred with fabric and I have yet to go back and solve the mystery.

The cyanotype kit I used to carry out this session is from Amazon, which I will leave a link to 'Here'.
Or alternatively, there's a cheaper kit you can buy 'here' without the sponges (which you can get from the pound shop or most supermarkets for very cheap)

Thank you for reading today's post.

Big love and stay safe,

Bud xx

Previous post: Summer Wedding Commission In-Situ

Where to find me:

Comments

Popular Posts