The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes - Book Review



Book: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Author: Suzanne Collins

Brief Synopsys: Prequel to The Hunger Games franchise, following the story of Coriolanus Snow. 

Note: No spoilers featured.

Wow. Where do I begin?

I read this book just over a year ago now and it's taken me this long to formulate my thoughts. Even then, I still have so many wonderful things I want to say AND many conversations I want to have about this story alone.

As I mentioned in a previous book review, it's often the best books that are the trickiest to write about so I'm going to keep it brief.

Put simply, I loved this book. It was everything I needed; answering many of my questions from the Hunger Games franchise and leaving me with more. 
For example, how were the games started? How did President Snow come to power? What are his secrets? 
All of the above were answered and so. Much. More. I now have questions following on from this book which I'd very much like answers to and I have hope that someday I will. 

By the end of the story, I could understand President Snow (or Coriolanus as I now call him) a lot better. But it's funny because I never would have said after reading the previous books that I need a follow up about President Snow in particular. However, reading the book took me on a leisurely journey that provided context and an interesting story that hooked me from the right off. 
I genuinely had trouble putting the book down.

A very satisfying read that I'm grateful for having at the beginning of lockdown.

I'd recommend this book to any Hunger Games fan- if you've read the books or only seen the films. Plus it's such a beefy book which is so exciting for an avid reader! It's brilliant and well worth a read. This definitely won't be the one and only time I read it!
--------------------------------------------------------------
 
Thank you for reading! Let me know your thoughts on the book.

The paperback is now out and I saw it for very cheap in Tesco. It's also available in my online bookshop(.org): here

Big love and keep safe,

Bud xx

Previous post: 'Freedom' Day

Popular Posts