Sewing my 4th memory quilt - (Commission)

Hello everybody and welcome to the 3rd week of July.

I'm very pleased to be able to say that I've recently completed a rather mammoth sewing project: my 4th memory quilt! Almost immediately after I finished my last quilt, I started working on the next which overall took me roughly 5 months; including a lockdown where materials couldn't be sourced. 

This quilt is made out of special baby and toddler clothing that the family hold memories of. I had the task of working out how best to display the tutu skirts and range of sizes. Plus working against the stretch of the fabric.
The tutu skirts were initially a daunting task but I'm pleased with how they've turned out; one 3D coming out from the quilt and the second flatter with texture.

For the first time, I placed patches on the back which ended up looking quite good with a thick pink cotton border. I also stitched pink and white stars to the border so that this quilt would match the other memory quilts that were made for this family by another maker.

As I always like to do, I hand embroidered the name and date of birth of the little girl who owns these clothes.









A little information about my quilts:

- They feature wadding on the inside so that they can be used as a cosy blanket as well as a decorative one.

- I keep in contact with the client throughout as I make decisions and check they're happy. That being said, there is an element of surprise where I only show the finished result in full once I hand it back to them (as long as they want the surprise).

- Hand embroidered name and date of birth.

- Clothing included: tops, dresses, socks, onesies, tutu dresses and shorts.

- 3D features such as a tutu skirt, socks and frill ribbon.

I genuinely feel as if I improve on my quilt skills and process each time I make these. It makes me happy that the family love it as that's why I work on special projects like these and love it. The best parts are always, sewing the patches together and giving the clothing back to the family as a finished product.

-----------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading!

Big love and keep safe,

Bud xx

Previous post: Sewing bucket hats - (My first two attempts)

Where to find me:

Comments

Popular Posts