Sewing bucket hats- (My first two attempts)

Hello everybody and welcome to Thursday.

A sewing project I've wanted to work on for a wee while is making myself a bucket hat. I've had the fabric picked out, the pattern and instructions. It was just a matter of finding the time- and I'm going to be honest, the motivation too! 

So I picked myself up off the sofa in the evening after finishing a mammoth sewing commission that day and returned to my craft space for chill time and Olivia Rodrigo's brill album to accompany me. Which, whilst I'm here, I will say that I've been loving listening to. She has a voice that I enjoy singing along to and in my opinion, she's a lyrical genius. The first time I heard Good 4 u I found myself singing the chorus of Misery Business by Paramore around the house and it took me a second to realise that they have the same vibe.

Anyway, I digress from why we're all here. In the end, It didn't take me too long to make and I enjoyed using my sewing machine; which I always do. 

So here is my first attempt at sewing a bucket hat...

I'm very pleased with it and I'm happy with my fabric choice. I've had this material for a while as it was very kindly given to me by a family friend. As soon as I knew I wanted to make a bucket hat, the perfect patterned fabric popped into my mind which has paid off. It's also very possible that I had been influenced by Olivia Rodrigo's purple album cover which I currently associate with her for every purple shade I see.

The hat is actually slightly too small for my head so I've ended up giving it to my ten-year-old niece. It fits her perfectly with just enough space that it's comfy and will stay on. Since then, she's told me that she wore it to school which I find so very cute! Plus flattering since she's quite a cool kid and probably would've told me if she wasn't too keen on wearing it. That girl can start a trend and embrace current hairstyles and clothes like an absolute powerhouse. I wish I had that kind of confidence at ten. She's also my little bestie and I'll be adjusting the pattern to my size, making it in the same fabric and twinning with her one day soon.

The pattern is reversible so next, I'll be experimenting with pairing fabrics. 

--------------------------------

The next bucket hat, I actually finished earlier on today. I chose this floral scene as I'm loving the colour orange at the moment. It's bold, bright and I love flowers- especially an arrangement of different types and colours.

I extended the original pattern and thankfully the hat fits perfectly to my head. Next I plan on making my hat in the purple & pink floral fabric.

Please let me know if there's any interest in selling these on my Etsy shop.

Thank you for reading,

Big love,

Bud xx

Previous post: Sewing two types of bunting for a wedding! (commission)

Where to find me:

Comments

Popular Posts