Learning makeup at 20


When I was 20 years of age I needed to learn how to do my own makeup. When I say 'needed' I mean I was in a bit of a hurry to learn how to do it myself for a fancy event I was going to. 

Up until this point, I had always asked someone else to help me out in this area. My knowledge of makeup is limited to mascara and I could kind of work out other products and where they go but not quite how to apply them. It's irritated me profusely for years and part of that frustration was a lack of confidence. Truthfully from a young age, I felt too scared to experiment with my appearance. I was very shy at school, and I think this was me wanting to stay hidden.

Part and parcel of being human is having insecurities and unfortunately, school is a harsh place that no one can leave unscathed. So ever since I was young I've struggled with thoughts like my hair is too ginger, my forehead too big, hair too thin, too thick, too many fly-aways (what's with the little bits of hair?), I'm not pretty enough etc. So even though I'm definitely more confidant than when I was at school, I still carry around doubts and insecurities. Trying makeup felt like a daunting task but something I was sure I wanted to do to help me feel confidant. 

With time pressure for the fancy event, I sought advice for makeup and then took it upon myself to practice. 

I was surprised to find that I actually liked it. It's like painting and it made me feel a bit better about how I looked. It gave me more confidence which I felt I needed (I had to walk up onto a stage for this event).
---------------------------------------------
To do my makeup...


To do my makeup, I used what I was taught and I began looking at YouTubers I like for tips and just to see how they do it. I stumbled across a fellow redhead on Instagram to look for colour palette inspiration and started to ask if I looked like that. The result was actually no I didn't because we are two different people. I was told my makeup looked good and I should be proud of it. I am, I like it and love the fact that now I can add another skill to my list whilst also not feel that weighted pressure of having to ask someone else. If something comes up where I want to feel a bit better it's fine because you know what? I know how to try make-up. I found it really fun.


The experience of buying makeup at the shop wasn't bad at all. I was worried about asking anyone for help because of my age and I had overthought it completely. 

After watching a video of someone I follow online, I took a list of the product type and brand with me to The Body Shop. I started using the test bottles on the back of my hand, found two foundation shades that blended in with my skin tone nicely and enquired behind the desk. The young woman looked a bit younger than me, but I got a nice vibe from her so my worries settled. She asked me about my skin and it turned out that the foundation I'd picked was for skin prone to dryness, therefore it wouldn't be right for me with my combination dry/oily skin. 

We did a patch test by placing the foundation on a stick and using a small clean brush to apply on the jawline. 

The match was perfect, which I was so pleased about as I have very pale skin. I thought it would be a challenge to find one that didn't make me appear too pale or too orange. I purchased the foundation and left the shop with a smile, plus advice from a fellow redhead who was wearing the lightweight foundation I'd just bought.

I left with the patch test still on my face. I did think I would've been given a face wipe but maybe she was confident that it wasn't different from my colouring so wouldn't stand out. 
I continued to walk around town hiding my cheek a little with fear but caught a glimpse in the New Look mirror and you couldn't see it.

My makeup isn't too overwhelming and actually, it's tricky to take off where I can't really see where the foundation is. It's how I would like it to be: with my freckles still visible, lightweight so you can see I'm wearing makeup but not too much that I don't feel like me, conceals red areas like nostrils and user the eyes, plus it's sparkly!

I now quite like makeup and how it can make me feel. Since learning how to apply some products I've experimented with wearing it on random home days and going out to places like the Jonas Brothers concert last year. I don't wear it every day as I don't want to depend on it and find myself worrying in a situation where I'm not wearing it.

I'm glad it's now that I've discovered it for myself, It's an art form after all.

-------------------------------------

The reason I wanted to share all of this is that it helped me to find out that others have experimented with makeup at a later age than the teenage years, like me. I thought I was the only one and somewhat less of a girl/adult because most people can master this by age sixteen. I put a lot of strain and shame on myself which is an unnecessary pressure I'm trying to loosen. I've realised that it's ok to enjoy makeup and wear it if it makes me feel more confidant. It's ok to only wear a little bit or a full face if that's what I'm feeling. I'm still finding that balance but the key is that I:
a) know how to apply makeup myself and have that handy little trick for when I next need it.
b) pushed past that fear a little bit.

Also, I didn't think it was important to add pictures of my face since how I look wasn't the main point of this post. It's the fact that I stepped into an area that I previously felt intimidated by. 

Thank you for reading!

Big love and keep safe,

Buddy xx



Comments

Popular Posts