My beautiful new bookshelf!


Because this feels like a moment and my blog is a scrapbook of my life, I wanted to dedicate a blog post to the fact that for the first time ever I have a bookshelf. 
It's not a new chapter but a very exciting part of one and something I've wanted for a very long time.

So, let's start from the beginning. 

I am the youngest of a family of seven. This means that the house has always been lovingly full, hence I've always shared a room. Due to having to fit essentials in such as beds and wardrobes, there's never really been a space for a shelf. Nor had I really craved one since I've only become a bookworm in the last five years.

I've lived in my little bedroom for probably over ten years on my own and because of lockdown, I've had the chance to clear out everything I no longer need or love. I decided to have a revamp and so I've completely moved around everything in my room, creating a new space for me to enjoy.

I say this as if I snapped my fingers and it was done. This wasn't the case...It took a long time, a lot of hard work and patience.

Luckily, there was enough room for a bookshelf and as soon as possible I was in that room putting my beautiful books on the shelf. 
As you can see from the photos, I took the opportunity to stack them in colour order. Ranging from white to pink, red to purple and blue, green to yellow to orange and ending in black. 

Placing them in colour order was never a part of the plan but the organiser in me really wanted this to happen. For now, I'm so happy with the colourful result but maybe someday I'll mix them up as I do really like to see them mixed as well.

It's a fairly small shelf and when my budget allows I would like to upgrade to a taller one, but currently I'm very happy with how it looks and how it's transformed my space. It's also a very good use of a shelf that would've otherwise been thrown away. 

To see the books that I love all together on one shelf makes me feel really fortunate for the stories I've been given and for making the choice to start reading books. Reading has given me a hobby that has carried me to fictional places I love. It enabled me in passing my English exams the second time around and in articulating a bit better in speech and writing. That and starting college when I did, created steps for me to climb away from the insecurities I felt at school...Gosh, this got deep fast. Not that I did badly at school but my focus wasn't always in the right place with anxiety and the normal pressures teens have. 
Basically, I'm thankful for how much my mind has opened up because of reading. And now I have a visual for that.

I'm hoping that this new space will provide a new setting for a fresh start into 2021.

------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading this blog post. Expect to see a lot of bookish photos taken in front of this shelf.

Big love and keep safe,

Buddy xx

Previous post: A very chance meeting on a train platform

Where to find me:

Comments

Popular Posts