Discovering Grandad Dennis - Remembrance Sunday


Original Embroidery by Buddy Summer

Discovering Grandad Dennis

I’ve never met my grandad. I hear he was cuddly and can see he was loving from the photos of him holding my mum as a baby; closing his eyes with so much love as her little brain ponders the camera. I imagine him to be a strong and tall figure that is actually a teddy bear when you meet him. Much like my brother, he’s tall with a spiky beard and he terrifies my nephew to the point of silence. But he’s the most loving and sentimental boy- sorry; man. (To me he’s still the teenager that used to mess up my hair from his high up stature. Much like the scene nowadays). My brother is a family man and he absolutely adores his children. I’m told Grandad was exactly the same.

I’ve come across photos of Grandad Dennis over the years and little by little I discovered information about him. For example, he fought in the army- he would proudly tell his children, later on in the ’70s, that he never killed a soul. To family and peers, he was called Den, which suggests to me that he was friendly and loved by many.

Original Embroidery by Buddy Summer
A little bit of research into his history in the army and I’m told that he served in the 3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards which was part of the 201st Guards Brigade. He received three medals for his time and hard work in the army; one for being in his role full time, serving at least 28 days between 3rd September 1939 and 2nd September 1945. The colours of the ribbon represent the Union Jack. The second and third medal was awarded together for the Sicilian invasion. One ribbon with the colours of the Italian flag.
Grandad was a part of the 56th (London) Infantry Division during the Sicilian Invasion. There were heavy losses which lead to this unit being sent back to England in the early months of 1944 to be the training brigade for the entire Brigade of guards for the rest of the war. This also explains the defence medal.



Something that surprises me is that Grandad Dennis was aged 20 when he joined the army, which is the same age I was when I started this project. It sends shivers down the spine to think of where we would be if were around during the war. My age tells me that I would be working in the war effort, as either a Land Girl, working in the munitions factory, a code breaker or many more important home-based roles assigned for women, mostly.

Original Embroidery by Buddy Summer
After the war was over, Grandad became a family man. My mum remembers vividly the time when she made a scarf for her dad, a scarf that was rather quirky and disproportionate in places. She gave it to him at the age of 6. Even though she doesn't remember him wearing it, she’s confident that it was saved and is living in the attic above our heads. My Nan was like that; she would save the most imperfect creations because they were filled with love and innocence.


Something I’ve learnt in the last few years is that Grandad Dennis had a wife before my Nan. In the very recent past, I worked out that this lady’s name was Mary and she also played a crucial role in the war. The missing clue was to be found on the back of a professional photo of Mary in an Auxiliary Territorial uniform. The back of the photo revealed it to be in fact a postcard which read: To Mum & Dad and all. Love. Mary. 1943.
No one I could reach knew this name or anything about Mary. Wanting to know more and very intrigued by the photos of Mary, I approached a family friend who I'd hoped might know more. He was able to do a bit of digging and tell me that she was one of only 1000 women allowed to fight in combat in the British army during World War II, as part of the Women’s Auxiliary Territorial Service.
If she were to be attached to a regular service “mens” unit, then she would be wearing the cap badge of that unit on the left of her chest and have a different lanyard on. The lack of this, tells me she was not apart of this unit. 


Original art by Buddy Summer

It’s challenging to work out how and when Grandad and Mary met but I can tell you that they were married in the '40s. My investigative eye can clearly see a wedding ring on the hand of Grandad Dennis in a photo of the pair at a holiday sight; I guess this to be their honeymoon. They later had a baby together.


I adore seeing photos of my family’s history. I am ever so fascinated with life back in their day and I’m amazed how photographs can tell you so much, with research taking you even further.

I never met my Grandad or Mary but it's been nice dreaming about what their life was like. 

I’m very proud to say that members of my family were a part of the team of Great Britain, which through unity and teamwork, lead to the country we’re in today.
------------------------
Thank you for reading today's post on remembrance Sunday. I will see you very soon!

Love,
Buddy xx

Previous Post: August Favourites

Where To Find Me:
Instagram
Facebook
Twitter
BlogLovin' 
 


Original Photogram by Buddy Summer

Popular Posts