Sunshine, July and Daily Tangents #31 Typewriter




Hello and welcome to the final blog post of Sunshine, July and Daily Tangents. I am very aware that today is the first of August however I missed a day previously and as a domino effect, we overlap August ever so slightly. This is a good thing, everyone loves to receive a birthday present after the day. It's something to look forward to!
Plus I haven't changed my calendar yet so in my world, it's still July.

Very randomly I found an actual, real-life typewriter for sale in a vintage emporium. It was among many other peculiar and wonderful things that you would expect to find in such a place with a fine name. Therefore, the visuals of this blog post are courtesy of my time here...

This typewriter was sat at the end of a lane in this huge garage-like hall. A variety of people sell their homemade items and build up a business whilst others sell things like their DVDs, CDs, records, books and jewellery. You can buy furniture, old cameras, clothing, ornaments- anything from a new bath to a mannequin head. At every single vintage emporium that I've been to there is always a marvel/character/fan section with comic books and fictional character merchandise. 
Without fail, I am always surprised by what I find. It's just a wonderful place to visit and great for inspiration even when you didn't think you needed it.

When I think of a typewriter I think of an old-school storybook writer. I can imagine a shadowed figure hunched over this tippy tappy machine in the dim yellow light of a single lamp. It's the middle of the night and the rest of the house have gone to bed but the magical flutter of inspiration isn't ready to burn out.
Writers of today can still here this tippy tap, however, there's more power there to go back and change what was written. Using a Typewriter has a sense of permanence. I'm yet to work out if this was a good thing.


My continuous line drawing of a Typewriter

As a little segway from the topic of stories, today (or yesterday by the time this goes out) is
 Harry Potters birthday! #HappyBirthdayHarryPotter One of the most famous characters is 39 today. For the past few weeks, I've been listening to the audiobook of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets which lead me to sit down and watch the film version earlier on today. I sat on the sofa with my Slytherin blanket whilst working on my commissioned bunting and watched the story unfold as if it was the first time. 
(FYI I'm not a Slytherin. This is a huge tangent here but I took the test on Pottermore to discover I was a Hufflepuff. I then took the full version on another site to find I was a Ravenclaw. However, I have red hair so I would be a Weasley which makes me a Gryffindor. Who knows?! The only thing I can guarantee is that I'm not a Slytherin.)

Anyway, hearing the story reminded me of how much I love the Harry Potter books. I always have but I was reminded of the comfort they provide. 
I'm fascinated with how books are turned into films and I enjoy watching the film after the books to see what's been changed or added. J.k Rowling did an amazing job at setting things up for later which was most apparent in The Chamber of Secrets: The Horcruxes (mind-blowing storytelling) and the fact that Harry can speak parcel tongue, Ron's broken wand backfiring at Gilderoy Lockhart, the slightly awkward greeting with Ron and Hermionie after she's saved, the Polyjuice potion...



The set up that I find the most interesting comes from a fan theory:
Do you remember at the start of the Chamber of Secrets when the magical trio and their families are at the book shop just before they go back to school? Draco Malfoy is seen ripping a page out of a book. This fan very correctly stated that Draco wasn't the type for random rebellion; He didn't disobey rules if there wasn't really a result at the end of it. Later on in the story, Hermione collects a ripped piece of paper with the answers to the Chamber Of Secrets conundrum. But it really isn't in Hermione's nature to rip a page out of a book. 

The theory is that Draco ripped out the page the trio would need knowing of his father's plan. At this point, Draco was very much around evil but smart enough to know that his father's plans weren't good decisions. He tried to help on the side of good. Of course, if you know the story you will know that a huge leap later on in the story, that Draco progresses and isn't so bad after all. 

Theories like this one and many more I've seen are so wonderful to read purely because of how passionate people can get about stories. I live for passionate discussions about books. If you're an author or blogger or any type of writer and your writing is provoking conversations and communities of people loving your work, then that is brilliant! You've made something that has meaning to someone. Books have a way of connecting to the soul of a person- not to sound too deep- I always find myself connecting more to books. 

This post is dedicated to all writers. Keep writing you wonderful wonderful people!



So here we are at the end of the final post for my little blog every day in July Project. We have 31 posts. 31! It was a challenge that I certainly found challenging but I am so pleased with the variety; we've had craft tutorials, baking, day in the lives, storytimes, illustrations, paintings. There are definitely some favourites in there that I'm gonna love reading back. 

I thank you greatly for reading and I hope you've enjoyed this project as much as I've enjoyed creating it! The next time you will hear from me will be next week sometime (how blase of me) with June/July Favourites. There are good things in store for next month that have been brewing for some time. See you soon!

Love,
Buddy xx 

Yesterdays Post: #30 Volcano 

Where To Find Me:
Instagram
Facebook
Twitter
BlogLovin' 


Popular Posts