Sunshine, July and Daily Tangents #28 Sing

Original Illustration by Buddy Summer

Walking into the living room with bare feet on the cold laminated floor, I stroll to towards a charging phone on the table and lift it up closer to my face. The sun is shining outside but the misgiving from the window is the wind cooling everyone down. I stand in a long blue and white striped skirt with a thin white jumper and sunglasses pulling my hair away from my face. I mindlessly start to sing...

"And in my hour of darkness, she is standing right in front of me. Speaking words of wisdom, Let it be..."

Starting towards the kitchen to make a cup of tea for my dad, I catch sight of my outfit in the mirror and straighten out the creases. 

"Let it be. Let it be-e. Let it be. Let it be. Speaking words of wisdom, let it be-e"

Pottering around the kitchen moving from cupboard to oven making lunch. I start to hum Let it be by the Beatles until I get back to the chorus and sing again. Just as I catch sight of someone walking back into the room I suddenly lower my volume to mute.

Within about a minute I'm back to singing again, only this time with the double chin that's required for a deep voice.

"Born Free, as free as the wind blows..." 

The change in song only brings me back to the present when I realise it's from an advert. Which one? I am not sure.


Original GIF by Buddy Summer

----------

Hello and welcome to the start of another Sunshine, July and Daily Tangents post. 

I have spent this sunny Sunday afternoon (of the 28: late post-sorry!) Strawberry picking and playing Rummikub. I have never been strawberry picking in my life but I finally turned right onto the not so little field and gave it a go. I quite liked it!
I am now sat in front of First Dates, trying very hard not to get distracted. It's not working too well...







Now the word Sing is very apt for me and my life because I sing every day; Around the house, in the garden, in the bath/shower, in the car and sometimes just in my head. The latter is always when I'm in a scenario where it would be a tad awkward to burst out in song. Don't get me wrong, I don't sing well. Ask the hand that ups the volume level or the door that's shut ever so briefly. All in good humour, of course. 

I just love singing. Simply put, straight out there: I love to sing. I personally find, and I've had many conversations with people who say much the same, I sound great when I find the right song at the perfect pitch that I harmonise with. Then I record myself for a couple of seconds just to see if I sound as good as I think I do and the answer is always no. But the enjoyment of actually singing ensures that I keep going, just not in public.

This morning as I started to get ready I turned on Youtube and typed in the song that was stuck in my head: Yesterday by the Beatles. I clicked Autoplay and to my greatest pleasure I had a good run of 6 songs: Yesterday, Let it be, Hey Jude (all by the Beatles), Don't go breaking my heart by Elton John, L.o.v.e and Fly Me to the Moon by Frank Sinatra. All of which feel so calm to sing along to.
I also love to sing along to theatre songs, specifically sung by Miss Carrie Hope Fletcher. Crazier than you and Pulled from the Addams Family musical are constantly stuck in my head. I actually was very lucky enough to go see Carrie when she was in this musical and I have never enjoyed a theatre show so much. The whole cast was incredibly talented and it was amazing to hear Carrie. She has a beautiful voice that feels wonderful to sing along to because of her skilled set of vocals. 

It's not just Youtube that gives me a playlist to sing, I find that when I'm in the bath or shower a multitude of songs make themselves known in the glorious echo dome that is the bathroom.
Here is an example of the songs I recently sang in one shower:

  • Crazier than you- Carrie Hope Fletcher and Oliver Ormson
  • (which usually leads to) Pulled- Carrie Hope Fletcher 
  • Part of That World- The Little Mermaid
  • I will survive- Gloria Gaynor
  • Say my Name- Destinys child 
  • Yesterday- The Beatles
  • Let it Be- The Beatles
  • Hey Jude- The Beatles
  • You Matter to Me- Carrie Hope Fletcher and Oliver Ormson
...The playlist is always different.

All the while singing in the kitchen, garden or wherever I am, you can sometimes find that the radio is on in the background. How I manage to sing completely different songs to what is on at the time, I don't know!

There is one song at the moment I am trying desperately to remember. It's one of those gems that makes you feel amazing to sing as it feels like there are a lot of words. I heard it again recently but missed out on noting it down and now I'm explaining the parts of it I remember to people in the hopes that someone will say: oh yeah, its this one! This hasn't happened yet. What I remember about it is that its a few years old, its a story rather than repetitive, I think the video includes a woman singing but its by a boy band and it features an elephant. If you know what this is, please let me know! Visa Versa If I remember I will let you guys know.

Anyway, when you sing you release endorphins which is a feel-good hormone that rushes around your body. So essentially singing is scientifically proven to make you feel good. Even if you don't sound great, just sing.

As ever, thank you for reading today's post. I will see you soon with day 29: Little.

Love,
Buddy xx

Yesterdays Post: #27 Mix

Where To Find Me:
Instagram
Facebook
Twitter
BlogLovin' 





Popular Posts