My Work Featured In A London Exhibition/ Art

"To the voices in our head that tell us we aren't good enough, do be quiet" - C.H.F



In the summer of 2017, my FMP project ‘Hidden Depths’ outcome was selected by the UAL awarding body and featured in a London Exhibition. It was one of my proudest moments to see something I designed and created featured in a real-life exhibition. I just couldn't believe that it started from a drawing.

My overall theme was Hidden Depths. Along the way, I found myself drifting (no pun intended) towards the ocean, I looked at the beauty and the pollution. My final piece encompasses the juxtaposition of these two things.

I upcycled a t-shirt on which I used image transfer, felting, tie-dye and a tube coral technique.
The bespoke skirt was made to fit my measurements and I finished it off with a Barnacle technique (I think it's really cool that I know how to make a bespoke skirt!).
The net train took 4 hours to make and is fastened over the top of the skirt so that it is removable and the model would be able to sit comfortably.
You will see that on the back of the garment, origami stingrays are swimming towards the right shoulder. These are all made out of recycled paper-based litter.
Finally, I have secured varied types of litter to the net train to imply what's commonly found in the ocean; making my audience think about what they throw away and if it can be recycled.


The emphasis is put on brilliantly colourful tactile tubes, aka coral, in order to emphasise just how stunning the ocean is. In turn, I hope the use of litter acts as a sore sight against the contrasting surroundings.
I feel that it's important to get the message across that the beautiful ocean needs to be looked after as well as the life within the water. Through the course of the project, I was immersed in information about the harmful waste that intrudes on the ocean. It urged me to create a piece that provoked discussion as to why common items are featured on an outfit. Why would you wear litter? leading to the question: How could waste end up in the ocean? What can we do to prevent this?

The garments aren't wearable as in they couldn't be washed and treated as they would if you were to wear them regularly. You can indeed wear this outfit, however. This was the start of finding whereabouts I am with my own creativity. I didn't know this at the time but whilst I was stressing about what career I could have in the future, I found my own artistic style. Wearable textile art is my bread and butter- It's what I love to create. Make no mistake I still haven't developed this into a career, but I'm pleased to have made the discovery.

I could've interpreted the theme any which way and it's interesting to find now that I'm experienced with projects that I'm thinking up other topics I could've looked at. I wouldn't change a thing about this project and the route I took- not one thing, I'm incredibly pleased with this experience.
--------------

The day I travelled to London was brilliant. Looking back now I don't think I quite realised how much of a big deal it was. It happens to everyone in their first year of college right? Wrong- I represented my college.
If I truly realised, I'm sure I would have been full of nerves.



I'm always one to be modest about my achievements and sometimes I really don't see what others see in my work. I'm making an effort to change that, I'm proud of this work and it was good enough to make it's way to an exhibition. 

My mum and I made our way to London on a very busy train. We got lost having not been to London very much before; I think it was my third time. But, It's a family thing- we don't have much luck with maps. 
I was very excited to discover the (now previous) This Morning studio. By the time we found the exhibition we had walked in circles and we eventually found my final piece on the last floor we came to. I was terribly worried we weren't going to find it or we made a mistake and my outcome was not going to be in an exhibition or it was sent back already.......you get the picture, I was very worried.

This was a surreal experience and I hope to the universe that it wasn't the last time my work featured in an exhibition or that it was my last big achievement. 

Thanks for reading!

Love Buddy Summer xx

The work featured in this post is copyright of Buddy Summer


Popular Posts