Meeting Tom Fletcher/ Tangent & Day in the Life




On the 14th of October 2017, I met Tom Fletcher. This was one of the best moments of my life (very close to my achievements) and a moment I still talk about.

A bit of context: the year leading up to this I started to watch YouTube videos whilst I did my work. I would listen to Mcfly songs, which have always exuded positivity and an easy-going vibe, to me. This lead to stumbling across vlogs by Giovanna Fletcher, then vlogs by Tom and finally vlogs by Carrie Hope Fletcher. The Fletchers became an inspiration to me and still are. I'm inspired by how hard they work and all of the creative projects they work on. One day, I would love for a creative career- to do something that I absolutely love every single day, as a career.

So meeting Tom Fletcher was the most brilliant of happenings! The craziest and just the absolute best thing! Tom was very lovely and surprisingly really chilled. I feel incredibly lucky to have met him.
Below is a blog post I wrote in the notes of my phone the morning after that moment; before I had this here blog.




Blog post- Fletching crazy!                                         15/10/17

Tom Fletcher! I met Tom Fletcher yesterday! Let me just let that sink in for a minute. Crazy.

Myself and My friend Lou are in London for Harry Potter world, we’re staying in a hotel and couldn’t
check in until 3pm so we went to the town centre for a little shopping trip. During our journey, we
missed turnings and went the wrong way a couple of times- both adding a time delay to our destination.


We were in the car park at the shopping centre looking for a space and could not find one; so we were
in a queue of cars. I look up and see a man that looks like Tom Fletcher in the car in front of us- he
was in a white shirt with red sleeves, that Tom typically wears in his vlogs, with his hair spiked up.


I say “That's Tom Fletcher”- completely in disbelief. Then Lou realizes and starts slowly freaking out
whilst my hands and arms can’t seem to move. He is then in the queue in front of us and luckily
guides us in the right direction (as we had no clue where we were going). Tom then parked and
started to get a buggy out of the boot, this is when I realize that he is with his son, Buddy. Myself
and Lou (Lou driving) went round this parking level saying ”That’s Tom Fletcher!” we need to find
a space” “should we talk to him? (from the car this was)” until we found a space; which we did- a
few cars up from him.


We got out of the car all excited and freaking out and saw him walk with Buzz and Buddy to an entry
to the shops. I was walking quite fast with Lou a few steps behind me. She seemed to slow down a
little and when we were close to the entry so I held her hand. That’s when we saw Tom (freaking)
Fletcher waiting for the lift with his children.


Lou said (and do excuse me for this bit because I can’t quite recall it all, my brain was in quite a fog)
Excuse me are you, Tom Fletcher?”. I look at Buddy in his buggy and notice his cute curly hair. Tom
replies “Yes I am” at which point we have no clear view of our coolness and freak out. I was shaking.
The Meddlum* of adrenaline held my hands and shook them with all of his power; I turn to my friend,
hold out my hand and say “I’m shaking”. Lou says to Tom “we’re both big fans and follow you on
Instagram”. He smiles at this and turns to smile at me *screams with happiness on the inside*. Then
Lou apologizes gesturing to Buzz and Buddy and asks for a photo in a way that implies we mean the
best and don't want to scare the children. Tom says “That’s ok. Yeah sure. Buzz (who was playing by
the lift button) come here. Are you having a good day?” I don't quite hear what Lou says with all the
excitement whizzing around my body; casting spells and making my stomach feel sick (the good
kind), my lips quiver as I smile and my eyes grow wider than their natural state. Lou gets the camera
on her phone up and says “Sorry I’m shaking so much” to which Tom replies “Do you want me to
take it?” Lou laughs and says “Oh yeah thank you”. He puts his arm around Lou and I hesitate to
get in the photo as my fangirl brain is not sure if it's meant to be just Lou then just me. I get in any way
and smile- trying so hard to focus on the iphone high up in front of us. He takes the photo and hands
it back to Lou who says “Thank you we will leave you alone now”. That's when I say “I watch your
vlogs they're really good” he, who is now looking right at me(!), says “thanks, sorry there hasn't been
one in a while”. I don't have anything else ready to say, (thankfully) Lou steps in and says “She loves
your sister, she went to see her in the Addams Family” (a musical that Carrie is currently in). Tom
replies ”Oh cool”. Then after a little pause, I say “We love Gi as well” (Tom’s wife. She’s also an
author and a YouTuber). Tom says “Me too” and smiles.
Myself and Lou both say “Bye” and spend the rest of the day all giddy and in a happy bubble.


*Meddlums: A set of characters in Carrie Hope Fletcher’s (Tom’s sister) book All That She Can See.
They are physical beings that are made up of certain feelings that only Cherry (the main character)
can see. You can have many different ones and they grow/shrink in size depending on the size of the
feeling. An example of one Meddlum is one named Loneliness, the main character looks up at the
tall creature and he lets go of a dribble that lands on her cheek; aka a tear. (There are good Meddlums
too. I recommend the book greatly).


Those who are close to me know how much I love Carrie Hope Fletcher and love watching Tom’s,
Carrie’s and Gi’s YouTube Vlogs. So when I met Tom I could not believe my luck. It is so crazy that
myself and Lou both always talk about that talented family and even crazier that I was watching an
old Mcfly video that same morning.


We missed turnings, added time to our journey AND managed to get in a random queue at that exact
time that Tom did.


Life is crazy.



Comments

Popular Posts