Carving Jodie Whittaker Into a Pumpkin/ Craft


13th Doctor by Buddy Summer

Hello, happy October! Welcome to my 40th blog post. 40th!

This week I found the time to finally carve my pumpkin. Pumpkin; as in only one. You may have noticed that in a previous post I bought two pumpkins, the other ended up squished after waiting around for a week for me to carve it. I'm told it may have been "On the turn" when I bought it and so I I'll try not to dwell on the loss too much.


Even with this smooshed expression, I attempted to cut into it. As soon as I did, the bottom randomly burst and leaked dark water.

On that note, my next carving session was my first ever experience carving a pumpkin. Truth be told, I had been caught up in project work and hadn't really thought too much about what I wanted to carve. Nor did I google pumpkin carving how to's or tools I would need. I wanted to go old school and wing it.




















I wasn't all too in love with the pumpkin smell, however, I absolutely loved carving into it.




I drew a design onto the face of the pumpkin, using a marker pen.



I then started to carve the pen lines with a kitchen knife. I thickened the lines and made sure that the knife sliced a thick enough gap for the light to shine through later. 

I quite liked this drawing and was a little hesitant to carve into it, nonetheless, I took loads of photos.



........... whilst carving, the lid I carved at the top of the pumpkin became soggy and, well, fell in. So I didn't have a lid for my pumpkin but all was well, I was doing ok.




The pumpkins look so different in the daylight, compared to the dark.

13th Doctor by Buddy Summer

13th Doctor by Buddy Summer
I am so pleased with this outcome! considering it's the first pumpkin I've ever carved, I think it went very well.
                                                                      ---------------
If you are planning on getting a pumpkin this week, the advice I will give you is to make sure that there are no brown spots of rotting areas. We didn't know what we were looking for criteria wise, I just found a nice orange one and prodded it to make sure it wasn't too soft.
We didn't have to bring a knife, which I've seen on some YouTube vlogs. I found that the pumpkins were easy to pluck from the stem.

Thank you for reading! Happy October and Happy Doctor Who (series 11, ep.4) air day! x

                                                         --------------------------------------


PS: The pumpkin lasted roughly four days and then flooded itself: the inner fruit liquefied.




Comments

Popular Posts