Before Her Eyes Book Review Part Two/ Review


Original photo by Buddy Summer

If you haven't read this book STOP! This post includes some major spoilers and its a goodun you should read first (but make sure to return later ; D).

This post will consist of little notes I jotted down as I continued to read the book from the previous Before Her Eyes book post; chapter NINE to the end. You will get to see my thought process as I journeyed through the story. 

Enjoy!


------------------
From Chapter NINE:

"The cabinets musky breath billowed up into his face". I really liked this description.

-Thinking in ways of a blind person is mastered by the author, Jack Jordan. Its made me really pay attention to my own senses, I look at them with patience.

There's a continuous.....I wouldn't say rhythm- because the chilling moments are unexpected- these parts are dotted and trap my attention in its grasp.

Before chapter TWENTY-SIX: 

-Is the killer more than one person?

-Question to author: What research did you do for this book? was it media fiction or real life shadowing sessions, because my oh my.

Onwards, before Part II:

-My heart beat hard and my eyes wide as I read what happened inside the white tent in the woods.

-Is Naomi all that innocent? I can see how the author could have written in a way that we, the reader, would be on her side. The audience is naturally on her side as we got to experience her sensations which could make her vulnerable.
Has the audience been hoodwinked?

Part II onwards:

-I found it really difficult reading the abortion. 
Jack Jordan proves how talented/skilled he is in writing in detail and giving the reader mental images alongside physical sensation insights.

Chapter THIRTY-NINE, onwards:

-Is Naomi really blind? The author has control over what we learn so this could be a possibility.

-"He couldn't persecute an innocent woman, even if it meant saving his own neck"- I see what you did there.

- Why were photos and evidence at Naomi's house?

Chapter Sixty- Eight:

-I like that Naomi is often described as beautiful. This is forgotten when reading because we are often learning the ugly pain she feels.

-Brilliant Writer, very talented with words!

-Oh. My. Goodness. I felt my heart drop at that change in events. What?!

The last line gave me actual goosebumps. No, that can't be the ending! Naomi needs to be happy, Dane needs to be locked up.

- What happened to Dane's mum?

No, I can't believe it! I feel like I want to reach in and save Naomi. I also feel like waking everyone up and telling them about this unbelievable thing that just happened (it was late at night when I finished the book). Im not going to be able to sleep now. My goodness, I can't believe that ending!
I even said to a friend earlier, pre-reveal, that i know who the killer is now. WRONG!

Darn, Jack Jordan you are good!

-Is Malcolm OK? 

- To be honest I never liked Dane.

Final reaction: to sum up...

I am so utterly flabberghasted by that turn of events. I have truly never read a book where a massive revelation was exposed in the Epilogue.

During the time of reading, I would feel suspicious of people out in the street, as if everyone could be suspects to the murders in the book.
How scary for Naomi to not be able to see anything- not what crazy people are around her, not her house where she's meant to feel safe, not split-second expressions that could give you a gut instinct. Nothing at all. one of the times it really got me was when her house was moved around entirely, it was like she was a snow globe that was picked up and shaken about.

Definitely a book I will continue to recommend (i've already had many conversations where I've been very enthusiastic) and definitely an ending worth getting through all of the scary bits for.

Congratulations Jack Jordan and thank you all for reading! x

Comments

Popular Posts