A Family Recipe By Veronica Henry/ Review




A Family Recipe by Veronica Henry: THE BOOK REVIEW


Veronica Henry has very quickly turned into an author I love to read.

I started off reading The Forever House (also by Veronica Henry) a few months ago and dwelled in the good-feeling this book emitted. Recently I discovered this very beautiful paperback in the shop and upon seeing the authors name I decided to give it ago.

I officially love Veronica's writing! I proclaim to you all with my arms wide in the air.

A Family Recipe is feel-good and light-hearted which is what I craved at the time; reading very emotionally heavy books previously. I looked forward to settling in for a cosy read every time I was away from this paperback. 
It's very much on my evergrowing list I declare when asked: "What book should I read next?"

SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

The reader goes through a journey of flashback chapters to the present day. I really enjoyed how the stories intertwined and learning a bit about the zeitgeist of World War 2; of which hasn't really been my taste before.
(Already recommended to a friend who enjoys flashback chapters).

Veronica paints the affair in a different light. It's still an awful thing to do, no mistake, however, we get to see a difference in the cheaters. We see that these two are not the typical characters you would expect to do such a thing and therefore are naturally intrigued to discover just how they came to be: What was happening in their life lead them together, they were what each other took solace in. 
At first I was shocked, then I was angry and then I ended up still not liking Dom but not being quite as angry as I was.
I'm not sure how to articulate my reaction to this event in the book, it's an awful thing, I wish character Dom didn't do what he did.

The recipes are a beautifully heartwarming glue to the story that I think translates to so many families. 

An overall feel-good book. 

-----------

My next Veronica Henry book I aim to find is How To Find Love In a Bookshop and The Beach Hut.

Thank you for reading!




Comments

Popular Posts