Sunshine, July and Daily Tangents #24 New York New York


This blog post comes later than expected due to poor WiFi. Explained more in the next blog post. Enjoy!



Hello, it is the beginning of another Sunshine, July and Daily Tangents post. Welcome to day 24.

I am currently sat outside in the warm evening sun, wearing my New York t-shirt- I'm very method you see. Plus the t-shirt is extra big on me and it's nice and breezy in the sunshine. 
I have had a lovely day today. I visited a couple of charity shops, one of which I found something I think I will treasure for a very long time. It is an oil pastel picture of a woman dressed in 80s clothing with hoop earrings, a blue long-sleeved top tucked into a beautiful long pink skirt and she's staring off into the distance. She's sat on the floor and I get the impression of a dance studio. I'm not entirely sure why? I think of the '80s and I think of dancing. It was £5 and I keep looking at it so excited to put it up somewhere. Typically I will buy something and feel guilty or regretful of spending money, however, I'm just obsessed with this artwork and it makes me feel good to look at, so money well spent I'd say. I love colour and '80s fashion- it's just perfect! I'm trying to make out the artists signature and I think it says L. Abbott. I've done a little google and a little Instagram search but I can't seem to find them.
I also bought the Back to the Future trilogy in this same shop for £2. Thrilled!

Today's words are New York, New York. A Doctor Who fan like myself will hear New new new new new, new new new new new, new new new new New York- Said by David Tennant as the Doctor in New Earth Series 2 episode 1. 
Or you may think of the song New York, New York sung by Frank Sinatra. If the latter, I have no doubt it's going to be stuck in your head for a while. 

I actually visited New York a couple of years ago and it's up there with the best holidays I have had. Every morning when I woke up I would say: I'm in new york! It was a wish of mine to visit this city since I was little and so when I was actually there, with buildings that towered high above me, I felt completely and utterly amazed. 

There was a constant stream of people and with that brought the noise of chatter, shouting, road works and the dinging of bicycle bells. It felt like everyone had a purpose and a place they needed to get to; sometimes in a hurry which was vocalised in beeps and hand gestures. 
The streets smelt of urine- not as picturesque as one would hope. You could decrease the smell by feeding your other senses, there were hot dog, pretzel and churro carts everywhere. They could be seen in-between all of the people promoting a bus tour or trying to sell you there cd. Two guys, both on separate occasions, approached us and wrote our rapper names on the disc. We bought them for a small price, still haven't played them. 
I held onto my bag strap whilst walking around, knowing what kind of things happen in films that are set in New York. 
It was quite hot when we went which seemed about right with the number of people that crowded the city.

Such a beautifully detailed building to see...
I loved the art on the buildings



A typical scene at any point of the day

We travelled around New York, ticking off things on our list as we went and a few extras: a New York Taxi ride, a pretzel, hot dog and churro from a cart on the street, Dash- the Kardashians shop. Madame Tussauds where I met the Jonas Brothers and properly fan-girled, we met Katniss Everdeen, went on the Jimmy Fallon show, shook hands with Robin Williams, posed with Sofia Vergara- there were so many faces and we got pictures with a good 95% of them!
We went to the M&M shop, a cafe where the waiters/waitresses sing whilst you eat, the Hersheys shop where I developed a love for their chocolate, a tour of all the places where tv and film scenes were filmed including the Friends building and visited John Lennon's Strawberry Fields memorial in Central Park.

The Kardashian shop day was an adventure. It was something I really wanted to go to so myself and my travel buddy got our map and made it happen. We spent the day in an area nearby and from here set foot to the store. We couldn't find it for ages and it felt like we were never going to until we were walking down this street, which I remember feeling like was leading us nowhere, when my friend saw the shop, gasped and gave me a knowing smile. I was starstruck! Looking back at the photos, I look very windswept and a bit red in the face as there was a lot of walking pre-hand. Afterwards, we were lost for what felt like hours as we couldn't find our hotel or anywhere vaguely familiar. Eventually, we got into a taxi which was our first journey in a yellow taxi. It was very dark at this point. 

There were so many things that we did and I think the most astonishing was climbing up to the crown of the Statue of Liberty. The sight from this level was insane. Actually seeing her from this height and the green of her crown and arm was just Incredible! There are no words. I felt so little...







Joe Jonas at Madame Tussauds
The Friends Building!


We managed to see filming once and I still have no idea what that was for but they all had Happy New Year written on their paper crowns. On this same evening, we were walking back to our hotel when we saw a group of women huddled around some man outside of a pub. They were all looking at him with admiration in their eyes and so we lingered for a bit to work out who he was. The way they were talking had us realising that he was well known and so we stood for a photo. Later on, we googled him and found out that he was in fact quite well known. To be honest I still don't remember who he was but when I do I will catch you up. 
I feel like I managed to really soak up New York City. It was everything I could've imagined and more. The entire trip was my favourite but I think sitting in times square just watching the bright lights and hustle and bustle was my favourite thing. I was there and I was able to stop and just look for a while. This is when I was struck again by the fact I was in New York but also I guaranteed that I had soaked up this astonishing place. I'd never been anywhere like it, I felt/ feel so lucky to have been.

If you ever get the chance to go to New York I advise you to make a bucket list of everything you want to do and put: Sit on the red steps of Times Square and just breath at the very top. 

Thank you for reading! I will see you soon with day 25: Hair.

Love,
Buddy xx

Yesterdays Post: #23 Craft

Where To Find Me:
Instagram
Facebook
Twitter
BlogLovin' 


Popular Posts