From Pencil To Doctor 13 / Art




Yep, big photo this time. Very happy with this illustration!

This week I handed in my Doctor Who project (not actually called this but this is the theme I chose. We'll just call it that) and it included the above illustration. I have to admit, I kind of didn't want to hole punch this painting and let it out of my care, but saying that a weight has been lifted; the weight of a bursting sketchbook, no less.





With this book, I actually had to create another booklet to carry on from my sketchbook as I could no longer incorporate any more pages. The book was very close to resting with the front page at a 90 degree angle- not the first time this has happened, I get quite carried away with my projects!

But, back to the topic at hand. I wanted to illustrate Jodie's Doctor 13 outfit because I had recently had a tutorial on illustration where I learnt the steps of drawing a figure. In the lesson, I only just got to the stage where the figure has a shape and a bit of colour. Reaching the end of my project, before making my own Doctor jacket, I was inspired by Jodie's costume and gave painting it a go.

It took me about two hours- probably a little less. I struggled at first to get the perfect colours and the exact positions of colour. Afterwards, I was so pleased with my result that I kept taking a peak and showing the people around me. Over the next few days, I would fight the urge to show more people. (I think it's great that I'm proud of something I've made. Creating is what I love to do, of course sometimes I make things I'm not happy with, however, I feel that sharing the positive feelings is the way to go. Law of Attraction and all that)

Jodie's coat is my favourite part of her outfit. Is it just me or does it look really soft and comfortable? Hearing Mrs Whittaker talk so enthusiastically about her new clothes encouraged me to make a Doctor jacket for myself- but more on that another time (it is awesome!).


I found it really interesting learning facts about Doctor 13's clothing and so I thought I would share a few of the things I discovered:

  • The outfit is inspired by an image Jodie found of a woman walking with purpose in a gender-neutral outfit. The image was black and white, the costume timeless, there was no mood and so the creatives of the show were able to work with it and make it their own.
  • The interior lining of the coat dark blue- the space Jodie was falling through. Hints of colour. Jodie is a colourful person, this is her Doctor she's making her own.
  • Every decision, detail, feature and stitch have a meaning and importance. To me this is what makes an outcome special and successful; when it has meaning, individual qualities brought together.
  • It has pockets! 6 to be exact. Women's clothing hasn't always had pockets, it's only recently that pockets have been incorporated into the clothing of women. Even now sometimes I will be wearing something, reach for the pockets and find the outside of the fabric.
  • Earring: The Doctor is from the stars, the chain represents her journey and the hands communicate peace between humans and the Doctor.
  • The colours subtly featured are inspired by Jodie's love of Coldplay (one of their album covers), the sky and space which includes rainbows. It references her predecessors, also.
  • The trousers are made from fabric from a shop in Yorkshire. Jodie is too from Yorkshire.
  • Jodie collaborated with costume designer Ray Holman to create the perfect outfit for Doctor 13.

"The best thing for me is that you guys wear it (the costume) and you own it and it's yours and those things mean something to you"- Jodie Whittaker


When I heard this quote from Jodie it was the light bulb to the lamp- I was no longer stumped for what to make for my final outcome; that feeling was replaced with excitement and inspiration. And so I made a jacket, inspired by Doctor Who.

I will share my wonderful creation soon. For now, it's out of my care (quite a scary realisation), temporarily (and *breath*).

Thank you for reading and happy Doctor Who day! ............I mean... Sunday!



Bibliography:

  • BBC America (2018). New York Comic-Con 2018 | Full Doctor Who Panel | New Episodes Premiere Sundays at 8pm. [video] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VnEdqRpjnc&t=1067s [Accessed 18 Nov. 2018].
  • Holman, R. (2018). Ray Holman - Costume Designer Q+A. [online] Doctor Who. Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/3cfd7b93-2e89-4fec-a7b9-8de903f454f5 [Accessed 18 Nov. 2018].

Popular Posts