Seeing Demi Lovato In Concert/ Tangent


To 15 year old me, this actually happens!

I sang with Demi Lovato. In an arena where multiple others sang with her too, but still: I SANG WITH DEMI LOVATO.

My goodness, Demi has a whopping pair of lungs! This was my first time seeing her live and listening to the songs I know and love being sung by such a powerful voice. 
Today (the day after), watching back the footage and photos I'm getting goosebumps. She was absolutely incredible, much like when I watched The Greatest Showman for the first time, I strongly didn't want the concert to end.

Sitting in the audience knowing I was going to see the lady I have admired since I was a youngin filled me with both nerves and excitement, Jax Jones did a pretty good job of warming everyone up pre-hand and so I felt the very high adrenaline. 
My heart beating incredibly hard. My camera in hand ready. The music vibrations coursing through my chest and stomach. Demi Lovato rose up through the stage, confidently staring out into the crowd. She was actually in front of me! She was really there!


A depiction of my blurry photo of an upbeat song

The Vocal Queen started off singing You Don't Do It For Me Anymore which initially blew me away and hyped me up for what was to follow:

Setlist:
  • You Don't Do It For Me Anymore
  • Daddy Issues
  • Cool For The Summer
  • Sexy Dirty Love
  • Heart Attack
  • Give Your Heart A Break
  • Confidant
  • Concentrate
  • Cry Baby
  • Lonely
  • Instruction
  • Echame La Culpa
  • Warrior
  • Sober
  • Sorry Not Sorry
  • Tell Me You Love Me

I was pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of some of her older songs, one of which being Give Your Heart A Break where she introduced a 'Kiss Cam': focusing on two side-by-side members of the crowd who would then 'kiss'. Girl/Girl, Guy/Guy, Girl/Guy were the combinations seen on the large screens above the singing Miss Lovato. Before the song, Demi declared "Love who you wanna love!".
The energy in the arena was so free. I felt like everybody accepted each other which was a beautiful atmosphere to be encompassed by.

Throughout her time on stage Demi was her usual funny and bubbly self: cracking jokes- "Tonight we're gonna turn the O2 into the O3......just kidding", trying out British accents, quoting her songs along with a wink and visibly chuckling during more raunchy dances. I loved seeing the smile on her face as she danced with Jax Jones in Instruction.


Demi's view during Warrior and Sober

My favorite performances were Warrior followed by her new song Sober. In her opening speech, Demi initially paused and then said: ".......no matter what you guys will never leave me and I'm so grateful for that".
The audience sang along with her and my heart lifted as the arena united to show support for Demi- an oxymoron to Sober in which she touches on feeling alone; we definitely showed her she is not. They were both sung absolutely beautifully and with so much true emotion. From what I am aware it's only the second time Sober has been sung live, I respect Demi entirely for being able to share her truth; let alone in a foreign country.
When Sober got to "...I'm sorry to the fans I lost, who watched me fall again. I wanna be a role model, but I'm only human". Demi was greeted with a massive whoosh of cheers- including myself (to the shock horror of the people that know my quiet voice).

Something I heard Demi say in a concert years ago was reiterated right before Warrior and I will never forget it: 


"If you ever feel lonely if you ever feel hurt, heartbroken whatever it is, just put on my music because I will always be there for you"
(goosebumps watching this back, each time)

Reaching the very last song Tell Me You Love Me, the crowd was well into the swing of love and support- Demi herself gave a loving hug to her two back up dancers as the rest of us waved our arms high up in the air: no inhibitions.

"Oh tell me you looove me"

Demi ended the ultra-amazing concert by singing acapella to the crowd: "Everything I need is standing right in front of me. I know that we I know that we will be alright, alright"

At the end I felt encouraged, excited, free, my throat was sore from singing and 'whooping' (not a complaint whatsoever). I felt like I was soaked in euphoria. 
The buzzing atmosphere felt like it was ok to "love who you wanna love" and be who you want to be.

I still can't actually fathom that I have been in the same room as Demi Lovato. There are videos, taken by a friend, where I am on the screen at the same time as Demi. 15 year old me, are you hearing this?
I truly felt like seeing Demi live would never happen, I am so so grateful that it has. Life is crazy!

Thank you for reading! x

Illustration of Demi Lovato by 15-year-old me

Comments

Popular Posts