Cherry's Dress/ Garment Creation


Now, what I'm about to share is something I have wanted to be able to share for a little while........

I have recently (well, in the recent past; ish) created a garment inspired by a beloved-by-me book named All That She Can See. The book is written by the wonderful Carrie Hope Fletcher.

I can now declare that I have received a 'High Distinction' grade for this project. (Whoop, Whoop!)

I was able to choose my own path and whatever I wanted to create and so I decided to design an ever so unusual garment for Cherry Redgrave- the main character.



You may have seen the book featured in one of my recent blog posts: Books To Add To Your Bucket List. If you haven't read the book, here's the lowdown (with no spoilers): 
Cherry is a baker but that is not all that she's made up of. She has the ability to see negative emotions in physical monstrous forms called Meddlums. With her bakes, Cherry infuses special ingredients that will help the receiver; my favourite bake being the Que Serra Cakes.

With my garment I have:
  • Used pyjama type fabric, aka flannel and fleece. Something that I love and wanted to communicate within my work was the fact that when Cherry wakes up she puts on a fresh pair of pyjamas.
  • Added an apron shaped neckline to communicate that Cherry is a baker.
  • The waistband features mark making of the wonderful sweet colours.


  • Incorporated pompoms to represent sprinkles (traditionally found on baked goods).

  • Fashioned swirls in the fabric that are there to represent both the icing on top of a cupcake or the mid mixing aesthetic.
Unfortunately, I don't have a photo but there is also a whisk secured on the back and in the knot of the fabric belt.
One of the many techniques I used to create this *cough* understated dress is Subtraction Cutting by Julian Roberts. Such a glorious technique. The possibilities are endless.

Carrie, if you are ever to see this, thank you for your writing and creative mind. I am so in awe of your talent!

Thank you for reading! 

Buddy Summer x


Popular Posts